Mourning Song

The Riveras watched with worry as Miguel paced outside the household waiting for the letter that was suppose to come in yesterday.

"Perhaps something happened"

Luisa said, trying to lighten up the mood. Elena crossed her arms, not bothering to hide how uneasy she was feeling.

A sudden scream caused the family to swiftly bolt outside to see Miguel, face pale, reading a letter.

"Mijo, what is it?"

Miguel wordlessly handed it to his Abuelita who snatched it from his hands and began reading only for her to sag.

"Oh mijo..."

The family peered through the letter to find out it was an invitation from the Gonzalez family.

But it was not an invitation to a party.

You are invited to the funeral of

Papa Jose Fernando Gonzalez.

Beloved Great Grandfather, Loved by all and to his great grandchildren.

The Rivera family froze and thoughts of what had happened in the states filled they'd mind.

"We have to go" Miguel said "But it says here the funeral will be here in Santa Cecilia" Berto said but Miguel, knowing his instinctive to act first before thinking, was already running towards the train station.

***

My mind and body were numb as ever as we rode back to Santa Cecilia. Mi familia didn't say a word for neither words seem to come out of their mouths which was fine for me. Papa Jose's sudden death had given me a sudden shock so much that I fainted and woke up just in time to see the doctor's place a white cloth over Papa Jose's frail body.

I had cried the whole night and slept through the boat ride and was gradually awakened by Antoine.

"Mi angel, get some rest. You've been through a lot"

Papa said and I shook my head. How can I sleep when Papa Jose's coffin is just one train car away?

The train came to a slow stop in Santa Cecilia and I had to hold the urge to dash out once I spotted a familiar boy pacing around.

The people filed in and we were last to go out. My eyes were void with emotion but once my eyes went to those familiar concerned eyes of Miguel, the dam broke.

With a choked sob, I ran towards Miguel and hugged him as if he was my lifeline. Miguel took out his brand new red jacket and covered me with it to muffle out my sobs.

The families could only watch in sadness before Abuelito said "Let's bring Papa Jose home" I nodded but refused to be separated from Miguel.

I needed comfort and safety of a friend, Miguel had them and it was reassuring for a friend to have.

"Come on Angelita, I'll take you home"