Seven

The market was busy. I couldn't find the person I was looking for, if he was even there. I'll go back tomorrow.

Sassy won't tell me what she has planned for him when he comes home with me. I'm sure any claimed confession she might provide would be a lie.

"Just get me what I asked for." She has ignored me ever since.

The other voices are quiet as well. This worries me, they have never ganged up like this. What do they need this young man for?

I laid on my side on the worn out mattress. I pulled the sheets and pillows off many months ago, when I realized that no one would be sleeping here anymore.

My eyes bounce up and down along the wood panelled wall. I close them for a second. In search of a moment's peace, a break from myself.

A man stands before me. His shoulder length brown hair blows back in the gusts of wind. I can see crates and armoured men lining the back of the room.

"You've burned your last bridge, man. This is the end of the line." He shrugs and steps closer.

The breeze. Where is it coming from?

The side door is open. I can see the wing from where I stand. But the ground is no where to be found.

The man across from me gives my shoulder a push.

I become weightless. Not in a serene and calm levitation, my body is stiff. My eyes are glued shut. The resistance against the front of my body takes my breath away. It pushes my arms and legs back. They bend in ways they never should.

My eyes snap open and the green land below me comes into focus. The houses morph from black spots to targets for my landing. I blink rapidly. The wind caused my eyes to tear up, making it impossible to keep them open.

The closer I get to the ground, the faster I fell. My heart pounds in my ears.

The ground swallows my body. My being liquifies on impact. I deflate from the human I was.

I shook myself to life.

That wasn't a dream. I wasn't asleep. What was it?

I grab a sip of water from the fridge. My shaky body struggles to hold me up. I wipe the sweat from my forehead.

I put on my coat and hat and go back out to look for the person the voices demanded to see.

Please vote if you are enjoying the story.