Chapter 11

Zayn does nothing of the sort and even makes a point of getting him an apple juice, something he comes to regret when Harry drinks most of his beer. He gets another and Harry drinks most of that too while he tells Zayn about the village where he lives (which sounds like something from Downton Abbey compared to where he’s from in Bradford) and his band, White Eskimo, which Harry insists isn’t racist.

Of course he’s in a band, Zayn thinks as he waits at the bar, of course he is. They’re going to make it, too, Harry is sure, and Zayn can’t believe it’s only been three years since he used to think like that. Since he used to think that he could be anything he wanted to be. He doesn’t know when he stopped. Probably around the time Jas, despite months of trying after he graduated, had to take a job in a call centre. A 2:1 in Economics and he’s cold calling people to ask about PPI. It was supposed to be a stopgap, then it was going to finance his album, but Zayn can’t remember the last time he mentioned it.

They call last orders as he’s walking back to Harry and he doesn’t know what happened to the last three hours. Fab Cafe closes at 12.30pm on a Sunday, he thinks when Harry ignores his apple juice and reaches for Zayn’s beer. He takes a gulp and when he puts the pint glass on the table between them, his mouth is so red that Zayn’s about to suggest they head on there when he remembers that Harry needs to get home.

‘When’s your train?’ He nods at his backpack and Harry bites down on a smile.

‘The last one left at 9.04pm.’