Chapter 9

Zayn half expects to wake up and find Harry dozing next to him, but to his surprise, he’s done as he’s told for once and slept on the sofa. Or he’s slept somewhere, Zayn thinks, his heart clenching like a fist when he hears him and Doniya laughing in the kitchen, which immediately kills the boner that he’d woken up to find himself stroking sleepily.

The laughter is louder in the hall, loud enough to make Zayn’s jaw clench this time as he kicks the bathroom door shut behind him. He takes a piss, cursing himself the whole time for being charmed by Harry who clearly just wanted some free chips and a way into his sister’s knickers, then brushes his teeth so hard his gums bleed.

He should avoid the kitchen, he knows, but paces towards it anyway. He holds his breath as he walks in, then lets go of it with a dizzy smile when he sees Doniya in her pyjamas. Her face is scrubbed clean and her hair tied back so she looks younger than him, and it turns his stomach to water because he knows then that nothing’s going on between them. Obviously she adores him, but not like that. Doniya doesn’t go to the corner shop without make up let alone have breakfast with someone she fancies.

‘Can you put some clothes on?’ she sneers when she sees him.

Zayn smiles sweetly and idly rubs his stomach with his hand. His appearance in the kitchen in just a pair of black briefs wasn’t entirely accidental so when Harry’s cheeks go red and his gaze dips to the plate of toast in front of him on the kitchen table, Zayn’s smile widens as he reaches down to take a slice and pads back out again.