[Chapter 11] My Last Day

-Anthony's POV-

"Death?" I repeated in disbelief. All I did was make a mistake and accidentally slip into this other world I didn't even know about. Do I really deserve death?

Anna's dad laughed, "Of course, we can't have people here knowing about this. And we most certainly can not of have people on your side knowing this happened either..."

"But what about all of my friends? And family? Won't they notice I'm gone?" I argued.

Another laugh. "Anthony, we here on The Other Side take matters like this very seriously. You don't think we've thought about this? Of course we have. That's why we erase you and all recollection of you. It's as if you never were born. You'll be forgotten. All those family portraits...-poof-...you're gone. All those yearbook pictures of you...gone. What you have done is a serious crime and you need to realize that."

"I made a mistake!" I cried, "I never meant to slip in that puddle. I never meant for your daughter to take me to your place. And I never meant to fall in love with her." The room went silent as Anna's cheeks blushed a bright red color. "I never meant for any of this to happen, Anna's dad. And I think you're wasting your time cracking down on people who make mistakes."

He stared at me blankly, as if he was at a loss for words. "But...but you were going to kill my daughter," He muttered under his breath, "That's what all you people want to do. Because you think we're going to cross over into your world and take over your life."

It was my turn to laugh, "Are you crazy? I would never even suspect your daughter of wanting to do something like that. And sure, she did cross over to my world, but it's because we were running away from you...we wanted to be together." The silence intensified.

"You realize that she's you, right?" He tried to tell me.

I shrugged my shoulders, "No, I don't. Because we're not. She's Anna. I'm Anthony. The only thing we have in common is interests and a similar appearance."

"And a last name," The judge who sat in between Anna and Kendall reminded me.

"And a last name. But that doesn't mean anything," I retorted snappily, "She and I are completely different people. So if you're going to kill me for crossing worlds, then so be it. But don't punish them.They did nothing wrong."

"Look, I didn't make the rules, I just follow them," Her dad stated, "And the consequence for housing a fugitive from the real world and then continuing to go into their world is death! And that's what my daughter deserves!"

"No she doesn't!" I screamed, trying to stand up, only to be restrained by the shackles around my wrists. I sat back down and sighed, "I made her do this. So if anyone should be punished, it should be me." I looked at Anna who had even more tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Oh, you are getting punished," He remarked, "But so is Anna. And Kendall for disobeying my orders. And by default, his reflection, Kalel, must be punished too. Because, there is no human who's survived their reflection's death. And the same goes for we reflections, we haven't survived our human's death." Anna's dad turned toward the judge who sat in between Anna and Kendall and said, "What do you say, Judge? Do you agree with me?"

The judge took in a big breath and sighed, "Yes I do. The four of them shall be sentenced to death." He banged his gavel, "Court is dismissed."

Guards picked me up by the underarms and dragged me away, along with Anna, Kendall, and Kalel. We were all thrown into a holding cell and locked up. Anna and Kendall sat on one bench and Kalel and I sat on the other. I looked over at Anna who was crying into Kendall's shoulder.

"How could he do this to me?" She murmured through the tears.

"I...I don't know," Kendall replied in a soothing tone. He looked over at me and shook his head - I hung my head in shame. "But it's going to be okay, Anna. We'll find a way out of this."

"No we won't!" She cried, "My dad's literally going to kill me!"

"Calm down, Anna," He tried to tell her. But she wouldn't buy it. She was freaking out. And there was nothing no one could do or say to stop her.

"Anna, I'm so sorry," I apologized.

She looked over at me with red and puffy eyes, "It's...it's not your...your fault, Anthony. It's...it's..." And she burst into tears again. Kendall pulled her closer to him.

"What...what's going on?" Kalel inquired as she came to.

"You won't believe me when I tell you," I retorted.

*****

Today was my last day. I didn't get my one call in that prison cell. I couldn't tell my mom I loved her. I couldn't tell my brothers all my secrets and tips to growing up. Nothing. All I got was to dress up in a black tuxedo with white undershirt, only to be shot to death minutes later. I looked at myself in the mirror as I began to fix the red satin tie given to me.

"Are you ready?" The guard outside my door asked me.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied as I turned around. He escorted me out, where I was Anna and Kendall were standing, held by guards so they couldn't run away. Kalel, I didn't know where she was, but I could her screaming, refusing to do as the guard told her. I looked over at Anna and Kendall. He wore exactly what I was wearing, but he wore it better. She was wearing a black, three-quarter dress with a thin red belt around her waist. Kalel came out soon after dressed in the same dress as Anna.

The four of us were guided out into the courtyard where four gunmen stood in a line, holding machine guns. Behind them was a crowd - of all the people in The Other Side who came to see us all be obliterated. I saw Isla was there, as well as my bullies' reflections I saw in the halls the first day Anna took me to her school. The four of us were placed directly in front of the gunmen - one person to each guard.

I looked over at Anna as she looked over at me, giving me a slight smirk, "I'm sorry," She mouthed to me.

"No, Anna, I..."

"ALRIGHT!" Anna's dad shouted, cutting me off as she walked into the courtyard casually, catching everyone's attention, "YOU SEE THESE FOUR PEOPLE STANDING BEFORE YOU TODAY? THEY'RE CRIMINALS. AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE INTERACT WITH OUR REFLECTIONS. DEATH. DO YOU SEE THIS? MY DAUGHTER, MY OWN FLESH AND BLOOD, WENT TO THE EXTENTS OF HOUSING HER REFLECTION, THAT YOUNG MAN STANDING NEXT TO HER, IN MY HOUSE. LYING TO ME, SNEAKING AROUND...I CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT HER WITHOUT FEELING DISAPPOINTED." Anna hung her head in shame. Her father paused for a short moment to glance at his daughter before continuing with her speech, "AND AS FOR THE OTHER MAN STANDING NEXT TO HER, KENDALL SMITH, HIS CRIME WAS TRYING TO SAVE THIS PETTY HUMAN'S LIFE. BESIDE HIM IS HIS HUMAN. WE ARE THE OTHER SIDE, PEOPLE, AND WE HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE FOR BEHAVIOR LIKE THIS. THE OTHER SIDE AND THE HUMANS SHOULD NEVER INTERACT. AND THAT IS WHY TODAY YOU WILL SEE THESE FOUR PAY THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND..."

"WAIT!" I heard a familiar voice cry.

I turned my head in the direction of where the sound came from and saw Ian standing at the opposite end of the courtyard. Behind him stood Pewdiepie, Marzia, and Sawyer. Ian took a step forward and added, "If you kill him, you're going to have to kill me too."

"And me," Pewdiepie remarked, joining Ian's side.

"Us too," Marzia and Sawyer said in unison.

"Excuse me?" Anna's dad asked them.

"You heard us," Ian replied, "Kill him, or any of them for that matter, and you have to kill all of us too."