Prologue

When I was a teenager, in my very awkward stage, which I may or

May not still be in.. Me and my mom use to go on road trips alone every summer to get away from my Dad and younger brother Jake. She'd always give me lectures or in her words 'life lessons' and one night we were sitting on the beach in North Carolina when she said, "You never know the biggest day of your life is the biggest day. Not until its happening. You don't recognize the biggest day of your life. Not until you're right in the middle of it. The day you commit to something or someone... The day you get your heart broken. The day you meet your soul mate. The day you realize there's not enough time... because you want to live forever. Those are the biggest days. The perfect days."

Not more than 4 years after that day, did I have my 'perfect day'. And don't worry I'll explain how that day went, when I met my soul mate. But before all of this. Before all the happiness, there was loss too.

My mom died a year later. She was going on one of her normal daily morning walks. The last thing I remember was waking up and walking to the kitchen, she was tying her hair up when she grabbed a water bottle and her phone. She looked at me and said, "Honey I'll be back in an hour, be ready I have to take you to a doctors appointment."

I rolled my eyes and walked up to my room. And call it luck but I did end up missing that doctors appointment, that was going to determine what stage of cancer I had. But in return for a canceled appointment, I lost my mom. She was running down the street in a our wealthy neighborhood when she passed an intersection that had a drunk driver, driving 90 mph coming straight towards her. And little could she hear the honking of other cars to try and get her off the road, with headphones in her ears, before he struck her with his car. Before he took the life of my mom.