Chapter 1

26 years ago – The maternity wing of Central City Hospital was a bustle with babies being born. Though, there were two significant rooms that stood out on this fateful night. In one room a man and his wife were sobbing over their young daughter who had been born sleeping an endless sleep. They were the Sutherlands.

In another room, Kent Nelson knew that he was losing his wife. The doctors could not help him, particularly one doctor, Henry Allen who had done all he could to try and save her.

"I'm sorry, Kent." DR Allen said, "We couldn't save your wife. But you have a beautiful daughter." He handed the young child to the man, wrapped up in a blanket, she was so innocent, so beautiful.

But Kent's life was plaguing him. The Lords of Chaos were after him and he knew that they would not wait. They would not spare the life of this child, just as fate had also chosen to take away his wife.

Kent kissed his wife on the head, her eyes were closed, her breathing had ceased all together and the medical staff were all solemn. "I need to go," Kent said, taking the child as fast as he could out of the room. He knew that his fate was sealed. He needed to get this child to safety, but as he thought those thoughts... that this child would be safer without him, he heard the sorrowful tears of the parents who had lost their own baby.

He stopped at their doorway and watched as Robert Sutherland held his wife as she sobbed in his arms. This love was perfect. Kent was reminded of the love that he had felt for his own wife.

"Dr Nelson. I need you to sign these forms before you leave." Henry Allen said, handing him a stack of medical forms and a pen. He was standing right behind him.

Kent took the forms and stared at them, he knew what he needed to do. "DR Allen. Can I ask a favor of you, please?" Kent pleaded with the man.

Present - Cisco rallied Caitlin and Harry to hang up decorations about the cortex for Astrid's birthday. "Come on, we have to hurry up! She will be here soon!" he said, excitedly.

"Maybe we should just leave the decorations up throughout the year... then we won't have to deal with the trouble of taking them down and hanging them back up again..." Caitlin exclaimed, just as Barry walked in. Cisco was glad to see him, "Hey... Flash, a little help?" he asked of him.

Barry took the box of party decorations from Cisco and hung them up in a heartbeat. Just as the alert went off on the computer.

"She's on her way guys!" Cisco declared, "hide!"

Wells walked into his office casually and Barry grabbed a hold of Caitlin and pulled her into one of the side offices as Cisco went to greet Astrid at the elevator.

"Close your eyes!" he said quickly to the girl, as the doors opened. He led her into the middle of the cortex, for everyone to jump out and say "Surprise! Happy Birthday, Astrid!"

As they did, Astrid tried her hardest to seem surprised.

"Astrid... you knew?" he asked her disappointed, "You don't even sound the slightest bit surprised."
"I am! A little... it's just hard for a mind reader to be surprised when everyone is thinking about what's about to happen." She replied. "But, for what it's worth. Thank you, I'm really happy!"

Cisco hugged her, "At least you tried to act surprised for my benefit," he said, planting a kiss on her forehead.

Caitlin pulled out a present from her desk and handed it to Astrid as she gave her a hug. "Happy Birthday!" she said.

"You guys didn't need to get me anything." Astrid said, as she opened the box. "But this is perfect!" she smiled as she pulled out the picture frame that contained a picture of the five of them. "Naww, I didn't realize that Harry was actually smiling, when we took this!" Astrid declared as she showed DR Wells the photo.

"Yes, and that's a once in a life time event... at least it was caught on camera!" DR Wells said.

Astrid looked over at Barry, he was still quite mad at her and it had been weeks since their fight.

"Barry, can we just put our differences aside for one day? Please? And then we can get back to fighting again tomorrow!" Astrid pleaded.

"Okay, a quick hug then." Barry said as he leant over and gave her a hug. "Happy Birthday Astrid!"

"Aw yay! You guys!" Cisco gushed, "Let's move on to the cake... and no I didn't make it... Don't be silly!" he rushed off to get the cake, as DR Wells noticed someone in his office. Barry had noticed the visitor too.

As Caitlin and Astrid rushed off to find a place for the photo frame, Barry and DR Wells went over to see Kent Nelson.

"For someone who doesn't want to get caught, you have been hanging around a lot!" Harry said as he closed his office door behind Barry so the three of them could speak, without disruption.

"My powers ensure that she cannot see me, nor can she read my thoughts, no matter how strong her power is." Kent replied.

"Are you sure? Cisco built her a bracelet that has amplified her powers... she can even read my thoughts, and I'm a speedster!" Barry said.

"I'm positive." Kent replied.

"Hey, where did everyone go? We're doing cake!" Cisco called out from the other room.

"Are you sure you don't want to join us, Kent?" Barry asked him, "What have you got to fear if she can't see you?"

"I'm sure, I have my own reasons to not join you." Kent replied.

"Suit yourself." Barry replied.

DR Wells and Barry turned to the door, but when they turned back, Kent Nelson had disappeared again.