Bringing Back Hallie: Chapter Eleven

A/N--Sorry this took so long! I've been super busy with work and I didn't exactly know where I wanted this chapter to go, but it's finally written...so yay :) Anyways...it's a bit of a filler and kind of on the short side, but it was the best way to stop it so it's all good.  

Pic on the side is of Darla.  I'll put a better picture up later, but I felt like this one was perfect for this chapter :)

And please comment and vote and let me know how you're liking the story!  

"Can you pass the corn?" 

It's really just an excuse to talk to Ethan. I don't actually want any corn. But we've been sitting at the dinner table for about ten minutes now, my dad having made this huge dinner consisting of baked chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, and grilled asparagus. And when I'd gotten into the room, the seat next to Ethan had already been taken by traitor of a sister, so I've had to just deal with sly over-the-potatoes glances and hidden smiles. 

The blissful incident occurred last night, so it really hasn't been long since we kissed each other, but my dad has been hogging him all day. This morning they were working out in the yard, and then once it got too hot for that they came inside to work on their upcoming tour stuff. This is actually the first time I've seen him today with him knowing-I kind of watched from my bedroom window as he walked around the yard with the lawn mower, his body looking almost mouthwatering with the way his muscles worked underneath his tan skin. 

And I'm not going to lie, all morning I was a bit nervous as to how he'd act around me now that things had changed. How was he going to act in front of my family? How was he going to treat me with other eyes watching? I know that my parents aren't going to be too comfortable with us seeing each other, or whatever the hell we're doing now, if we're even doing anything, but I really don't want to go behind their backs. Not when my mom and I have a semi-decent relationship going. 

The two of us really just need to talk about things. I guess that's all I want. I want to know what to expect of him, what he expects of me. That's all I want. 

And well, I wouldn't be completely opposed to kissing him again. 

Oh who am I kidding? I think to myself when his eyes flash up to mine, a light smile appearing on his face. I want to kiss that boy a million times over. That kiss from last night has been on constant replay in my head ever since, me zoning out of reality quite a few times.  

"Sure," he says, his voice making me feel all warm since it's the first time I've heard it today. And when he reaches across the table to hand me the bowl of corn, he makes sure that his fingers brush against mine. Fighting a ridiculous blush at how much of a reaction his touch his skin gets from mine, I have to avert my gaze from his and focus intently on putting a small helping of corn on plate. 

"How's y'alls duo coming?" my mom asks from her seat next to mine, and I'm suddenly thankful for the topic change. I've been concentrating far too hard on how much I just want to be near Ethan ever since I sat down. I need a diversion. 

My dad says playfully haughtily, "Outstanding, if I may say so myself." 

I hear a light chuckle come from across from me, and I can't help but look up at the gorgeous boy with the grin on his face. I don't know why, but seeing him with that smile on his face just makes me feel so calm and light on the inside. I've never been so affected just by someone else's happiness, and not only is it really weird, it's kind of scary.  

I've kissed the guy once; I don't need to be planning our future together or anything.  

"What's it about?" Darla asks cheerily. Well, I'd be that cheery too if I was sitting that close to Ethan. I bet he smells delicious, seeing as how his hairs still a bit damp from when he took his shower before dinner. "Is it a love song? Those are my favorite."