Notting Hill

While my friends enjoyed their lie-ins on a Saturday morning, I was up at the crack of dawn, getting ready to head off to my field hockey game

While my friends enjoyed their lie-ins on a Saturday morning, I was up at the crack of dawn, getting ready to head off to my field hockey game. Coming from a family of sportstars- on my mother's side, surprisingly- I was super competitive and needed an outlet for all my pent-up anger. When I was thirteen, the counselor at Mercer suggested to my mom that she might want to sign me up for a sport of sorts, maybe lacrosse. I tried it for three weeks and gave up, wanting to get into field hockey instead for the sole purpose that I had a legitimate reason to hit people with a stick really hard. That might not be what the sport is really about but it was enough to want me to sign up.

Since then, I've loved every single second of it. I've even stopped hitting people with the stick and instead, started hitting the ball, becoming West Side's top scorer. The only downside was that I had to give up most of my weekend in pursuit of the game but when the other option was sitting around, eating popcorn as I watched movies in Dad's home theater, it was a no-brainer, really.

Checking my bag to make sure I had everything, I make my way to the hallway closet where I store my sticks, choosing my three favorites for the game. Zipping the stick bag and placing everything by the door, I rush to the kitchen to find that Dad had already left for his morning training, a handwritten note left on the table telling me that he'd see me at my game later.

I smiled at his messy scrawl and started to make myself a bowl of porridge. It wasn't my favorite breakfast, but it's energy-boosting so I've learned to like it. Once I have my breakfast ready, I grab a bottle of the pre-made green smoothie Dad loves and make my way to the home theater room.

Turning the system on, I work my way through all the options and find the video of today's opponents. As West Side's captain, I make it my business to know how the other teams worked, and before each game, I crammed. I watched the Ashfield team on the wide screen as I ate, remembering all the weak points in the team. I made some written notes about the important observations so I could brief my team and prep them for the game.

Just before midday, I finally headed for the shower, turning the water cold so that I was fully awake. After that, I dressed quickly, choosing a pair of running leggings that stuck to me like a second skin and throwing a grey tank top on over my neon green sports bra. With my hair in a messy knot, I was finally ready to leave.

Since Dad had insisted that I didn't drive to school yesterday, I didn't have my Ford with me. Looking through the key bowl, I check to see which of Dad's five cars was available, ultimately deciding to take his Mercedes SUV. I could have taken the Ferrari but I wouldn't have been able to fit half my hockey stuff inside.

Since we were only playing Ashfield today, I figured that I didn't need angry rock music. Going through the music system, I settled on a little East Love as I made the twenty-minute drive to the indoor hockey field we were playing at today. When I finally arrived, I saw Ashley's car already in the parking lot with Mariam leaning against the side, gesticulating as she spoke. Pulling up alongside them, I guessed that Mariam was talking to Ashley who was still in the car with the window rolled down.