Big Fish

Being in the same Personal and Social Education class as Joshua was problematic

Being in the same Personal and Social Education class as Joshua was problematic. We've shared this class since the beginning of the school year but it's only since Friday that I've paid any attention to that fact. Even then, I don't care that much. Only, he sits behind me and has taken it upon himself to annoy the ever living daylights out of me since we sat twenty minutes ago. If he wasn't launching paper ball missiles at my hair, he was kicking the back of my chair or reaching forward to tap my shoulder in an attempt to rattle me. 

"Stop it," I snap at him, earning us the amused glances of other students and Miss Thomas' glare. I've never really been in trouble at school before and if I have, it's more to do with the articles I write and not my attitude in class, however, there's a first for everything and the way the teacher eyeballs me, I think I'm about to find out what it means to be in her bad books. Sheepishly, I apologize to her and to everyone in the class. "Sorry."

From behind me, I hear Joshua mutter bullshit under his breath. 

"Just for that exchange, you two will end up in the same group for your project," Miss Thomas announces, folding her arms and smirking at us. I frown. What project? "Ok, kids, today we're going to be working in groups of four and we're looking at attitudes to sex. Based on the personality tests that you took at the start of the year, I've created groups where values and beliefs will vary. Please remember to respect other members of the group and what is discussed in this class does not leave this class. Ok, seeing as Eliska and Josh are now in a group, could we have Holly Anderson and Raechelle Gibson join them."

I internally groan at the prospect of having those two join us. I honestly didn't see how bringing Holly and Raechelle into the group would vary the group's beliefs and values; it's a well-known fact that they are always on the prowl for guys and if you believe the scribbles on the walls in the girls' bathroom, they don't just prowl for them, they find them too. Not that I judge them for it- more power to them for going out there and getting what they want but it's also a well-known fact that the one guy they're both competing for is also the boy that's joining us in the group. Yeah, they both want Joshua Archer. 

Johsua, however, doesn't give a shit if Holly and Raechelle claw each other's eyes out in a desperate attempt to be the victor in this girl fight. He actually looks thrilled at the prospect of working with them. It's pathetic. He gives them both a shit eating grin and insanely flirts with them just for the attention. Or the ego boots. Either way, with their focus on him, he must feel like People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. 

Turning my seat so that I'm fully facing Joshua, I level my stare at him until he puts his manwhore alter ego back in its box and behaves. Holly and Raechelle don't attempt to hide their contempt of me. I think I pissed them off a few months back when I name-checked them in an article about how girls used their looks to score free dates with guys even though they're not in the least bit interested in them. That apathy towards genuine guys who are looking for something meaningful makes my skin crawl. One of the boys Holly used and abused was a really nice guy who any other girl would be really lucky to go out with. Holly just knew he was rich and because of his social status in school, would thank her for going on a date with him. After spending hundred on taking her out to a nice restaurant, paying for everything, Holly didn't even have the decency to text him a thank you that night or any other night since. Raechelle isn't much better. Her only redeeming quality is that she's more upfront about her intentions.