11. Trust

Sadie

Today at church Eli slipped me another note into my hand. On it was a location and a time with no other explanation. Something bubbled inside me and although I was really nervous, the excitement just overcame me. I couldn't focus at all and my mind was elsewhere as I was trying to decide whether I should go to the location or not.

Brunch with my family was a tradition every Sunday after church and it was the epitome of dreadful. Constantly receiving comments like 'straighten up' or 'keep your elbows off the table' damper your mood quite a bit. I was on edge during the course of the meal while my parents were conversing with each-other so I just sat quietly trying to get through it.

I thought about it for a while and I finally made a decision. "So, I wanted to ask you something." I speak up. Both my parents snap their heads at me.

"Can I go out tonight with Claire?"

"You've been going out a lot this week." Father bit into a brussel sprout.

"Did you finish your homework?" Mother chimes in.

"Yes, I did." I stop eating as I'm too excited now to finish what's on my plate. I just really want to get out of the house.

"Chores? These dishes won't clean themselves." Father waved his fork at all of the plates on the dining table.

"Yes I'll finish those up." I chirp.

"Okay fine, I'll drop you off at her house." Mother insists. "No" I exclaim suddenly. "I mean—it's really just a short walk, you don't have to. Please?" I blurt out.

"Fine," she sighed. "But—"

"Yes, I'll text you every hour. Thank you." I clap my hands enthusiastically.

And I washed those dishes like I've never washed before. I ran up to my room to get ready, not that there was much I could do anyways. I snuck on a bit of concealer and a small coat of mascara, that Anna gave me one time, and rushed out the door before mother could stop me.

I walked over to the spot, feeling the cool spring breeze up my skirt. I passed about 15 girls who looked exactly like me. It's truly sad to me. Mother would never let me leave the house wearing anything but my uniform and it aggravates me. Oh how I'd love to rip this God-forsaken ugly skirt to shreds.

When I arrived I was slightly disappointed to see the sign that read Serenity Gardens. It's the small park just around the corner of this abandoned residential area where everyone would go to 'be alone'. It had this rock that was guarded by some tall hedges and trees for maximum privacy. We called it the 'makeout rock'.

My excitement faded when I realized why he wanted to meet me here. Before approaching the park, I texted my mother and updated her on my fake location. I was forced to lie since I obviously couldn't tell her that I was meeting up with Eli in some secluded park, alone.

When I saw him sitting at the rock, a pit formed in my stomach. He seemed to already be waiting for me so I decided to sneak up behind him and surprise him.

"You think you're pretty clever don't you?" I lean over his shoudler and he jumps, clutching his heart for a moment. He laughed when he realized it was me and I walked over to the other side to sit next to him. "Yes, actually I do." He admits, with a cocky smirk on his face. "So you've been giving me all these notes just so that you could bring me here?"

He simply smiles, almost uncontrollably, like he can't even help it. I look at him waiting for a response before I speak up again. "Is that all you wanted? To hook up?"

His smile suddenly fades as he gets confused, then he shakes his head. "Why would you think that?" he asks. "Because, this is the makeout rock." I say, making it sound almost like a question.