03| C A P T U R I N G

———————————
Eradicate
Chapter Three
———————————

The kettle begins to squeal as I leap off the crinkling couch and rush over to flip the switch

The kettle begins to squeal as I leap off the crinkling couch and rush over to flip the switch. It's been a few hours of nothingness. Dad's still form is spread out on the single bed hidden inside the only other room with a small bathroom, apart from the combined old kitchen and lounge. The minuscule space seems to be suffocating my aching lungs. An eerie feeling burning through the thick air due to being cramped underground.

A light breath leaves my parted lips as I slowly lift the red mug full of coffee from the counter top. A saddening smile forms on my features looking at my older sister. Walking towards Harper, the chess board set out on the old wooden table, I hand her the drink which she replies with a smile.

"Your turn," she mumbles blowing on the steaming hot coffee.

"You know I'll never understand the rules," I say dryly.

Every eradication we've struggled to survive through, Harper would always try to teach me how to play chess. My mind just can't concentrate knowing what's happening outside behind the barricaded door. Lives being taken away from one another, by one another. Human against human. It's all the governments fault. I don't want to learn how to play chess. In a way I feel like if I don't understand the rules it means we'll survive again. Leaving me to 'try' and learn the game the next eradication. I think it's almost like my lullaby.

"That's because you don't try."

"It's boringly boring and you'll win anyways," I huff crossing my arms.

"Just move your horse," she states taking a sip.

Picking up my black horse I hiss remembering the piece of glass obviously still lodged in my finger. My faces screws up as I slam the horse on the square tile but as I look up I'm met with my older sister smirking. I just sarcastically smile at her and push my uneven chair back causing it to squeal on the decaying flooring. I cringe as I take my first few steps towards the kitchen cupboards.

"Check Elora!" Harper yells as I begin digging through the medical kit.

"Yeah, yeah, checkmate me already." I say not bothering to turn around.

Digging my fingers around the large medical kit my eyebrow raises every now and then noticing the equipment we have for almost every minor situation. I scoff as I see some tablets for a headache, that's the least of our worries. Well I hope it's our biggest worry, apart from the sharp glass in my painful finger. The small shine of the metal tweezers quickly catches my green twinkling eyes.

"Found you!" I say shooting my arm up in the air with the tweezers, a smash sounds above me as one of our three lights flicker out.

Looking up I notice the now smashed light bulb hanging from the ceiling swaying back and forth almost hypnotic. I numbly cast my eyes towards Harper who's face is now fuming at my clumsiness. I simply raise my hand down with the tweezers tightly clutched in my grip.