Chapter 23

That night Newt spent at the Goldstein's apartment.

He had spent until nearly ten trying to think up of a response to Theseus' letter, but could think of none. He finally gave up, choosing just to go to sleep and think about it in the morning.

He awoke from a nightmare at about one in the morning, breathing heavily and sweating. He got up from the couch that he was sleeping on and headed to the bathroom to wash his face, splashing cold water over it. He considered taking a shower, but decided that would be rude to Tina and Queenie. So, he headed to the kitchen for a glass of water.

He padded softly to the kitchen, but stopped when he got there.

Melody was there too, a glass of water clutched in her hand.

She looked different. She was wearing Queenie's bathrobe and a pair of slippers. In the bathrobe, her growing baby was slightly more evident. Her hair was up in a ponytail.

She smiled at him sadly when she noticed him. "Couldn't sleep either?" she asked hesitantly. He ignored her, grabbing his own glass and filling it with water to drink. She looked hurt, but he ignored that too, despite the twist of regret he felt.

"Newt, I'm sorry. What else do I have to say?" She was pleading. "I'm sorry for everything I've done. It was stupid, and I wish I had just listened to you."

"Why did you go back to Alocer?"

His voice was harsh, and Melody recoiled, fright clearly visible in her hazel eyes. 

"I love him," she whispered.

"After everything? You love him, despite everything?"

"If Tina were doing the same thing, you would love her still."

He stormed up to her, and she let out a small scream, cowering to the ground. He stopped himself, and he felt himself come apart. He was no better than his father, who used the fear of others for control. Melody was looking up at him the same way she used to look up at Curtis, waiting for punishment.

He burst into tears, kneeling before her and trying to take her hand, but she jerked it away, still looking afraid.

"I love you, Melody."

"Curtis said he loved me. Alocer said he loved me. They both hurt me all the same."

She hugged him to show him that she forgave him, but it was brief, and she left quickly, tension obvious as she headed to the spare bedroom.

He sat on the floor for awhile, wiping away tears. Finally, he got back up, heading to Tina's bedroom.

Tina was sound asleep, curled up on her side. Her eyes groggily blinked open when he accidentally creaked a floorboard beneath his foot. "Bad dream?" she mumbled, and he nodded slowly. "I'm sorry to wake you. I'll leave you alone."

"No. Stay."

So, he climbed underneath the covers, and Tina instantly nuzzled into his neck, tangling her legs with his and letting out a small sigh of contentment. "Much better than a pillow," he heard her mumble before falling back asleep.

All he could think about that night was that he didn't deserve Tina's love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angst! So much angst!

I hoped you guys kinda liked it. (I mean, it's angst, no one is sure how to feel about angst.) Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

I'm thinking about doing and Author Q & A and the end of next chapter, so if you have any questions, leave them down in the comments!

I love you!

Toodles!