Chapter #10: Ember "Birds Of Paradise"

"Ember!" A girl with dark red hair falling in braids down to her feet stands before me, she's wearing a red tank top, black ripped jeans, and black high tops. She's accompanied by two girls, one in a black cloak with greasy blonde hair and the other wearing a pink sweatshirt with curly blonde hair. I back up, hands scraping on small rocks inlaid in the ground, I can feel the blood dripping through my fingers. Who are these people? And why do they know my name? I'm lying on the ground in a forest. Where am I? What am I doing here? How did I get here?

"Woah, Ember, it's okay! It's us! Calm down!" The girl in pink sweatshirt says. The girl in the black cloak stands over me, about to grab my hand. I almost take it but don't get the chance since the pain in my hand is so severe. I examine my dirt encrusted hand to find a large gash in my palm, a layer of my skin has been scraped off, making it hard to see anything underneath it. The blood has leaked through the cuffs of my sweatshirt and has started to dry. The girl with red hair stares daggers at the other girl, the one who tried to help me up earlier.  

"Sofia!" She yells, "Gloves! We don't want to kill her now do we?" The girl in the black cloak, who I'm assuming is named Sofia hustles to put on a pair of black leather gloves with studs on the knuckles.

"Who the heck are you guys? Where am I? And how did I get here?" I yell.

"And we're back to the questions again," The girl with red hair says.

"Ava," The girl in the pink sweatshirt says, "Cut her some slack. Since you think Kari is the protector over memory and fate, she must have altered her memory. That's interesting, the ice must have been a short-term effect, but the memory must be undone by the caster, so that must mean she-" 

"Okay brainiac," The girl with red braids, who I'm going to call Ava interrupts, "That's enough" 

"Hey!" The girl in the pink sweatshirt says in a friendly enough tone, "I'm Emily, crazy hair over there is Ava, and creepy black cloak is Sofia. Two minute ago you would know that, but your memory is kind of messed up, so your going to have to learn again." She smiles and sticks her hand out, offering to help me up. I make a point to refuse her hand and pick myself up without help. I still don't know who to trust, even though Emily seems nice, one can never be sure.

"Okay," Ava says, "We're going to ask you some questions, is that alright?" I nod, I need to know more about these people, I guess that means I have to spend time with them. Sofia steps forward.

"Okay, first question. What is your name?" Sofia says this with a warm smile, showing me that her personality is not as bad as her appearance.

"Ember Green," I say slowly, I'm not sure how this will help with anything right now.

"Who is your father?" Sofia asks.

"Creepy shadow man," I say sarcastically, but Sofia looks at me sternly, she wants a real answer. I sigh, 

"The Demon." Sofia seems satisfied with my response and she begins to think of another question. 

"Who are your parents?" Sofia asks.

"I'm not sure," I say.

"Ember," Sofia says, "I want you to try as hard as possible to remember okay?"

"No," I say, shaking my head, "It's not that I don't remember, I was raised by my grandmother, my parents died when I was three." It pains me to remember this, I never knew my parents, the demon killed them, then my grandmother left too.

"Who am I?" Sofia asks, cocking her head to the side.

"Sofia," 

"No, you already knew that. When did we first meet?" She asks.