Where Love Never Dies

I darted upright, rolling off the bed and into a standing position. I slid my shirt on over my head, still not able to get the image out of my head.

The eyes haunted my every thought. Consciously or not, I envisioned them into my past; seeing them where they were not.

Slipping over to the shower I thought of them liberally. Those eyes held something familiar but not. They were like a puzzle.

I pined to know the soul behind them. They harbored the same ancient air I imagined I had.

I was drawn to the idea of figuring out their puzzle as I let the cool water of the shower wash over me.

Sighing I checked the time as I looked at the clock on my bedside table. 5.40. The café would be opening soon.

I jogged down the busy sidewalk for a couple blocks until I saw the tranquil front of the shop.

Smiling to myself, I walked in to the bell over the door ringing. Cautiously, I walked up to the cashier, watching out for those eyes. When I didn't find them, disappointment irrationally shoved its way into my mind.

The cashier smiled at me over her glasses and asked me if I would like the usual. I nodded and she hurried to get it to me.

When I had it, I held the warm drink in my cold hands and looked out the window to the river.

I sighed, taking a sip of my drink and reveling in the feeling of warmth pooling in my stomach.

And then I saw them. The briefest flash of bright blue. They were gone for a second and then they locked on me.