Tear me apart: Chapter 1

---------------

Chapter one: The pack warriors

"Willow! Andrew! You are taking the first watch!" Beta Jackson ordered before disappearing back into his tent. I nodded, grabbing my gun and checked the silver bullets. Six would do. Andrew had a pout on his face, clearly annoyed having to do the first shift but soon followed after me. 

 The carefully picked camp area was a small clearing in a valley between two steep mountains. The surrounding forest was dry, which made it impossible for living creatures to wonder near the camp place without being heard. One of the mountains had been divaded into two parts by a wide, rocky path that lead through the mountain to Istavan's valley. 

Technically we weren't on their territory, but it was still better to keep eyes and ears open. I sat on a flat rock that stood by the pathway and Andrew leaned to the rockwall on the opposite side. Andrew's warm chestnut hair looked almost red in the light of the setting Sun. I yawned.

              "What do you think will happen tomorrow?" he asked. I scratched my freckled arm. Damn bugs.

                "Depends on our dear neighbors. If they want to start pack war there's not much we can do about it. Negotiations can only take us so far." 

                "Huh. You're awfully pessimistic", he grinned, "I heard Istvan's pack had hot red heads. I wouldn't mind sticking my-" 

                "Shut it"

                "Make me" I closed my fingers around a nearby rock and sent it flying towards his stupid face. Andrew ducked cackling and the rock collided with the mountain wall. I huffed and laid down spreading my shoulder length hair on the dusty rock. It wasn't like the dirt would show anyway since the color matched my dirty blonde locks pretty well. The darkening sky made me feel uneasy even though I would never mention that to Andrew. I had an image to upkeep. It didn't help that my human form looked how it did. I may not be as big and bulky as other wolf warriors but I had stamina and determination. Not to mention that my wolf was pretty impressive even if I say so myself.      

                 'Why, thank you.'

                 'Don't get too proud. I'm still the one in charge, Kion.'

Yep. I had a male wolf. Being a female and having a wolf form was already unheard of as it was the natures way to keep women safe to make babies. It might sound sexist and unfair but got to say, it has saved this species from certain death many times. Even if all males were slaughtered for being "beasts", women survived, blended into human society and made new pups. Only a female with wolf genes could make babies of our kind no matter if the partner was a human or a werewolf.