Chapter 8: Hunt

Chapter 8.

Marina

I hated it. The leafs got glued on my bare skin and usually dry and soft fur under me had become damp wetting my cloak. The Sun seemed a lot smaller here, almost like a moon. In our place the Sun would have been already starting to set down. This place was unnatural.

It was Dante's turn to carry me. Or I guess the wolfs name was Albert, or so Dante had told me to call him when he was in his wolf form. I had lived with these dogs for twenty-three years and I still didn't quite get how the whole thing worked. How could you share your mind with a totally different person? For me they were the same, to be honest.

The smell of another wolf pack lingered into my nose. I checked the map.

          "Okay, boys", I tucked the map back into my leather bag, "Time to change, we are at their borders", All three wolves stopped, their noses inspecting the air. I slid down from Dante's back and cringed when my bare feet touched the wet moss. Nothing like soft, dry sands of my home beaches or the warm soil of our woods. I walked towards the border that was very clear to me and invisible at the same time.

When I looked behind me, the wolves were gone and instead of them there stood three grown men. I never liked witnessing the transformation process. Creeped me out. I emptied my bag and threw them their clothes: T-shirts made of breathing material and some pants.

         "Use your maskers when you're clothed. I don't think there will be any wolves yet but better safe than sorry"

         "I hate maskers... They dull my senses and make me ill", Dante whined quietly. I prevented myself from rolling my eyes and instead walked up to him, making sure to sway my hips. My hands soon found their way around his neck. Dante, as obvious as ever, just blinked his dark eyes and smirked. I stroked his short hair slowly before pulling him in by his neck and bringing my lips against his ear. 

         "Poor boy", I whispered sweetly. In the corner of my eye I saw Alexandre cover his mouth in order to hide a smile. I gave him a quick wink before slamming both masking patches against sides of Dante's neck so hard he stumbled backwards. He would get nice bruises, "Just you know, I do not tolerate complaining", not out loud at least.

        "Yes, ma'am", Dante gritted his teeth, embarrassed.

        "Don't worry, Danny, you'll get used to her eventually", Alexandre laughed patting his friends shoulder, "Right, Carlos? You had a rough start with Marina too"

         "Don't push it", stone faced Carlos crossed his arms. Maybe I had been a little over the top with the quiet man, true, but it's not like I could have helped it. I liked guys that gave me some challenge, and my, had silver haired Carlos been a battle. I couldn't go past certain boundaries of course. I had a status and position to maintain.

What a bummer that our newest addition, Dante, was such a boring catch. He was pretty pleasant for the eyes with his dark features and muscular frame, sure, but so easy too.

And then there was Alexandre, I thought as I examined my compass. This pathetic little Northern sun paled in comparison to Alexandre. His golden tan and toned body weren't the only reason why. He had playful eyes and cheerful aura around him. Now that he was placed in this misty, old and dark forest he seemed so out of place. He belonged in salty waves, warm winds and colorful carnivals surrounded by laughter, music and dancing bronze bodies. If he wasn't my cousin, I would have been very drawn to him. I'm creepy, I know.