Chapter 5: Lucas

Chapter 5

The village didn't have a name. It was just The village- it wasn't like there were any other villages in our territory anyway so there was no room for confusions. One forms who visited here described the place as charming but very outdated. Though only one forms that visited here were ones with an important positions in one form society, women in black thight skirts and heels, men in boring grey suits. At some point they had decided that Great Northern woods were part of "their district" or something. We usually let them imagine that they have some kind of power here to keep them happy.

We could have have our hands soaked in blood and piles of bodies in main square and they still would believe we obeyed their baffling little laws. To be honest they didn't believe it at all, but pretented to. It was a silent agreement that they let us do what we want and we keep out of one form citys.

Of course most of us will visit the biggest ones at some point, but living there would be impossible for werewolves: city is not wolve's natural habitant and all those modern electric machines send out singnals that in long term cause huge head aches. Week or two there, fine. A month and we go crazy.

My pack consisted of every single one here. From new borns to 100-years-olds. I knew only few of them personally but pack is family. If one of them died, it hurt. If one of them found a mate, we celebrated.

Finding a mate at times like these were hard. Few years ago, before all the pack wars in South and the tension between us and our neighbors, it was a custom that after your twentieth birthday but before the mating season you'd leave the pack. Why then? Werewolf girls (they are still got werewolves even if they don't have a wolf) can sense their perfect mate after their puberty, usually in their seventeens. When you are twenty it's pretty safe to assume your puberty is completed and that you don't have mate in your own pack since you would have met them by that age. If you found a mate somewhere else, you stayed there. In return we got plenty of guests from other packs and if they found someone here, they stayed. We stopped sending our pack members out in the world about two years ago when shit hit the fan.

I would have left this year, maybe month later. Just before mating season. Secretly I was kinda glad I didn't have to go. Firstly, I couldn't leave Lucas. Secondly, Kion detested the idea of me having a mate. He had mentioned he would prefer if I had a girlfriend. Unlike normal wolves, our wolves don't really have sexuality. That's the part human is in control of. It would be kinda funny though, being straight and having a gay wolf. That's an internal conflict right there. But I think Kion thinks having a guy as a mate would rip him out of his last pieces of masculinity. I feel sorry for him, having to be in head of a girl for 80% of the time.

          'At least I don't wear dresses or heels.'

          'I'd kill you.'

I stood in front of the orphanage. I had had to spend one year here before turning eighteen and getting my own place. It hadn't been a bad place at all. They even gave me work there so I was able to gather some money. These wooden walls had been my sanctuary.

          "You live here!? I thought you were at least 18!", Valentin almost chocked as he read the words on the mail box. I glanced at him. 

          "Don't piss your pants frenchie, we're only picking someone up."

          "For the last time! I'm not French! I should have went with that adorable friend of yours."

          "If you physically can't reference him as mr. Collins at least call him Andrew. You're being borderline creepy."