Chapter 7: Southern winds

Chapter 7

Stacey was such a bitch, I thought as I skipped through the pages. However, the main character was even more annoying. I get that stuff that Stacey does are not very nice but could Julia not point out in every other sentence how much make up or how little clothing Stacey was wearing? Then again, it was a young adult book which meant this slutty evil character type just had to be there.

I should check on the children. I put the book down and wiggled myself free from the blanket. It was over nine thirty pm now which made me extremely happy about the decision I had made to stay at home. Who cares if Jackson gets mad at me. It's not like he is going to be beta for long anyways.

          'Someone is bitter today.'

         'Nice to know you're not dead.'

         'Thought I should give you a little time to figure things out.'

         'You knew, didn't you? ' I gritted my teeth. Patience, Willow!

         'Him being your brother?' Kion realized his mistake immediately, 'Oh shit...'

Oh shit indeed. The small possibilety of him being just a cousin or something slipped away. I wanted to scream at Kion. Why is he keeping these things in secret? Biting my lip I kept my thoughts to myself.

          'Willow, I'm so sorry. I wish I could tell you everything, I really do. But I just can't.'

The children, yes, I have to check on them. I walked out of the bedroom to the kitchen where I had left the kids to draw. There were some papers and pencils scattered on the table, but no Lucas or Aileen. Where had they gone? I took a few steps and peaked into living room. Not a single soul.

          'The bathroom?'

Not in here, I took a step in the empty room. The house was small. Very small. It was not possible for me to lose two first graders in timespan of half an hour. I ran my hands through my hair feeling a pit grow in my stomach.

        'They could have gone outside? Relax, Lucas is a smart boy and the Village is as safe as it can get.'

Yes, I had raised Lucas pretty freely. Never had I been one of those helicopter parents that hoovered over their children 24/7. Lucas didn't always inform me when he left the house which was fine by me and as long as he didn't go outside of hearing distance. I should have told him I would prefer them to stay inside since his surprise big brother was hanging around with other unknown wolves. Not to mention that he had taken Aileen along. If Andrew found out I'd be dead.

Aileen was a... sweet girl, bubbly and much more social than Lucas. I really didn't get why Aileen liked him so much (sorry Lucas). At least when I was around to watch them hang out Lucas just smiled a little and said two or three sentences per hour.

Aileen was just very fragile.

I got out of the house to the front yard. The Sun was already setting behind the trees. Crickets were chirping somewhere hidden under my unkempt raspberry bushes. No one was around which meant that dear big brother of mine was still having his speech. Good, since I really didn't need Andrew or his parents to find out how shitty babysitter I was.

"Lucas! Aileen! Get your asses over here!" I yelled while scanning the neighborhood. There was few small houses similar to mine across the road but all in all our home was situated on the border of the Village. Few houses and a small shop down the road and there started the forest.