Chapter 10

College has a funny way of telling you that you are not ready for adulthood. This past month, I graduated from childhood. Now I would be going into limbo, that between stage before you have to settle down. There were days that I just felt totally unprepared. Sure, I grew up thinking of different professions I would be good at in the future. I just did not know which I would actually enjoy doing forever.

The next two days, my college was hosting a Future Freshman event. They have incoming students come to campus and stay overnight. During the first day you meet up with a counselor and talk academics. Then you have some scheduled meetings until the evening. In the evening you are allowed to do whatever you please. They have tons of events going on around campus you are allowed to attend.

Then the following day, you have to attend your first "class". They had explained through a letter that you get to preview what a college class would look like. It would only be about forty-five minutes, compared to a full hour and forty-five minute class. In this class they basically talked about your majors structure and answered any questions.

The Future Freshman events were hosted all throughout the summer. You got assigned by last names. That is the part that sucked the most, because Mya's last name is Winter. The second part that sucked, is that you have to stay in the dorm rooms. They pair you up randomly with someone from your major. 

"Adeline! Are you ready?" my mom called from downstairs.

I quickly did a last minute check through my duffle bag and slung it over my shoulder. My eyes felt heavy and my steps were slow. We had to be at the sign in table by 11:00am and it took us about three and a half hours to get there. 

My parents can be a little paranoid about being late, so they had us leaving around 7:00am. Since I worked at Mr. Freezy's, I never had to wake up any earlier than  9:30am. Our ice cream shop did not open until 11:00am. If we ever had to go in early to clean or prep for the day, our shift would not start until 10:00am.

"I'm coming!" I called back as I made my way downstairs.

My dad was already in the car waiting, while my mom stood by our front door. I slid into my sneakers and walked out with my mom. As I made my way into the car, my eyes focused on our mailbox. I wondered if a letter from Sebastian would arrive today or tomorrow. Guess I'll find out tomorrow night, I thought.

My duffle bag filled with clothes, makeup, and bedding sat on the seat next to me. The sound of my parent's voices filled the car. I held my gaze out the window and watched everything move by. The discovery from yesterday filled my head. How was it even possible I would be vacationing so close to where Sebastian lived?

The thoughts almost made me feel a little queasy. I felt like I hide behind the words on the paper. Just like on social media, I could portray myself as perfect through our letters. Sebastian might have a certain idea of who I am and what my personality is like.

The rest of the car ride was filled with conversation about how I grew up so quickly. I secretly believe my parents were excited for me to go away to college. It would be the first time in nineteen years that they had the house to themselves. The thought of that didn't bother me though. 

I have always been pretty independent. Even though I wasn't sure what my future would hold, I knew I wanted to move out of my parents house as soon as possible. I was always smart with saving my money and have a pretty decent savings account. Although, my mom would always remind me I can live with them for a couple years after college to save money.

"No alcohol tonight, young lady," My dad harassed from the driver's seat.

"Dad, we have had the alcohol talk. Don't worry," I reassured him.