Chapter 16

***Still Aunt Liz’s Point of View***

“How long is she going to be in here?”I asked the doctor.

“Until we know that Ashley and the baby are both safe and stable to go back home. Being that the placenta was slightly separated, we are going to watch to see if it fuses back together with the uterus lining or in the event that it completely detaches we would have to get the baby out or it’d die. In some more serious cases, we’ll give an antenatal corticosteroid, which speeds up the development of the fetus’s lungs. The only issue is that usually when these drugs are given, the fetus is more mature, and delivery will follow not too long after. In our case, our best hope is that the micro separation fuses itself so everything will be back to normal. If it does detach, then we’ll have to take action in getting the fetus out before it dies, and with the fetus being so young, it’s at high risk for death without the womb.”

“Ok thank you doctor.” I said, then turned to Ian, “Ian, I think you should call your parents. I know this is probably not how you planned on telling them about Ashley and you, and Mia, but they’re expecting you home before Tuesday and Ashley may be here for a little while.”

***Ian’s Point of View***

The phone rang and I thought it was going to voicemail because no one answered at first. I was about to hang up because what I had to say couldn’t be done on a voicemail, but then, “Hello?” my mom’s voice asked sounding tired.

“Hey ma, it’s Ian, is this an ok time to talk, there’s a lot going on…” I began. 

“Yeah sure!” She said.

“Ashley is in the hospital.” I figured this was a good lead to tell my parents that I’m going to be a dad.

“Ohh…noo, Ian I’m so sorry, what’s going on? Is everything ok? Do you need us to fly over there?” She started asking too many questions at once.

“No, mom I’m ok, I’m here with Ashley’s Aunt. We’re not completely sure if everything’s going to be ok yet, but we’re all hoping things go well. The thing is…uh I really didn’t want to have to tell you over the phone but the situation’s changed and you and dad need to know so um…Ashley and I are…well we’re having a baby.” I finally spit out the words. There was a long pause on the other end of the line. My mom gave the phone to dad after a few seconds.

“Hi son, your mom tells me you have something important to tell us.” He said. Now I have to say it twice, jeez.

“Yeah, I’m sorry dad…Ashley’s pregnant.” I just said bluntly. Once again the phone line was silent for a little bit. I could hear mom and dad talking in hushed voices in the background, then the press of a button, they put me on speaker so they could both talk and hear me.

“Please say something.” I said to them.

“Ian, we’re both just sort of shocked right now, how could this have happened, you have been gone.” Mom said.

“Before we left…” I both started and finished.

“How long ago was that?” My dad asked and silently began counting.

“About 18 to 19ish weeks ago.” I quickly replied. “Ashley is between 18 and 19 weeks pregnant right now.”

“Wait, you’ve been there one day-” Mom started to realize.

“I know,” I interrupted, “Ashley waited to tell me because she didn’t want to ruin my life, but I know now and I’m here, and we’re in the hospital.”

“You’re in a hospital? What in the world’s going on now?” Dad asked, sounding surprised.

“The doctor’s said it was a placental abruption,” I heard my mom quietly gasp, “but it’s still attached and Mia is fine.” I explained.