Chapter 2

I stand completely still, until not even a hair on my body is moving. My vampire ears are trained to focus on one set of walls in the mansion. No signs of breathing, but that's typical of our kind. Our kind. I fight the harsh laughter that builds in my throat. Our kind isn't meant to sleep. Or drink animal blood. Or answer to an inferior race. 

No breathing but I catch the sound of icy skin brushing against silk sheets. They are in bed. I wait another moment. The action doesn't repeat. They must be asleep.

My phone- set on silent- lights up. I quickly skim the messages. There are dozens of them now. I unlock the screen to compose a message to Taryn, letting her know I'm on my way. But the phone begins to bend under my grip. I unclench my fingers and the phone drops and sinks into the fuzzy white rug on my bedroom floor. I'm so tense that trying to type a single text will shatter the device. My shoulders pull back and I wince as my black wings rip through my stony skin. I can be there in under a minute anyway.

The night air is brisk and clear. The moon glows in a half full phase. My eyes instinctly adjust to the darkness as I take off. Running is a pastime I turn to to clear my head, to calm my emotions. But tonight, each stride only heightens my anger. I surge forward with a speed I rarely reach. My legs burn as they slice through the still air, my feet barely making contact with the ground. My thoughts bursting as I prepare to meet my allies. Individuals worthy of the title "vampire."

Before I know it, my destination comes into view. Reluctantly and with great effort, I slow myself down. Taryn stands on the cracked concrete, worry etched into her striking ivory skin. She runs her fingers through the dark blue wavy strands of her hair. Her head snaps up towards my direction as soon as she senses me.

"Don't give me that look." I frown as her worried expression doesn't fade away.

"You were so cryptic over the phone." She accuses. "I spent the last several hours coming up with terrible scenarios."

"What's the worst you came up with?" I ask.

"They found out our plan." She doesn't hesitate to answer.

"No." Taryn sighs out her relief. "But it's not much better," I warn.

"Just say it, Kara I'm freaking out."

"They don't know, but they are getting suspicious of me."

"So what does that mean?"

"It means they've flipped. They're sending me to high school." Taryn stares at me, the expression on her face unreadable.

"They think I will benefit from some human interaction." I mean to sound indifferent but my voice is laced with venom. Recognition flickers in my best friend's dark eyes. She shuts her eyes tightly, her long lashed sweeping just above her cheekbones. She opens them and swallows.

"They're sending you... to high school... with Daywalkers?" The words come out slowly like she doesn't know how to form them. I knew she would understand how insane this is.

Dark laughter spills from her throat. My eyes snap up to her. Without hesitation, I reach up and latch my fingers around her neck.

"You're laughing?" I accuse.

"I'm trying to picture you roaming the halls with a bunch of preppy teenage Daywalkers. " She says, her voice straining. "I'm sorry but it's so absurd." I sigh and release my grip.