Chapter 12

I glance back and forth between the duffel bag on my bed and my open closet, in a state of disarray with clothes tossed all around. My normal wardrobe isn't council meeting appropriate, and my school clothes are so plain. Even though I disagree with their warped politics, I still want their respect. Which hopefully will turn to fear soon. Eventually, I put together a few decent outfits and stuff them into the bag. Packing is the easy part. Now I have to talk to my vampire pack. This might not go so well. But I texted them all to meet me tonight and I'm ready to face them. They'll have to accept my decisions whether they like it or not.

My three favorite vampires are promptly waiting for me under the industrial stairways by our warehouse, leaning up against the gutter. Each one of them is silent as I approach, they're strong enough to sense my presence before they can see me and smart enough not to let me overhear anything they might be complaining about. But they all visibly brighten when they see me. Normally, I would too. But right now, there is too much on my mind.

Taryn gives me a hug when I'm in her arm's reach and I welcome it. Dorian gives me his trademark crooked smile. When Taryn released me, Dorian swoops in and starts kissing me. Crux chuckles at the ferocity in my kiss.

"How's the human blood starting to settle in?" He asks. "Feeling stronger?"

Instead of answering with words, I tighten my grip around Dorian's waist, and in a flash, I flip him around, slamming him into the dumpster all while my lips are still locked on to his. I pull away. "What do you think?" I flash Crux a coy smile and Dorian steps away revealing the vampire sized dent in the front of the dumpster.

"I'll admit though, it feels extremely weird to have both blood types in my body at once. Like they're almost warring with each other." I say.

"Don't worry about it my little demon, we all know which one will ultimately win the war," Dorian says as he bends down to give me a quick kiss on the top of my head. Without experiencing it themselves, I'll never be able to describe just how strange it makes me feel inside.

"So what's with the mysterious meeting?" Taryn voices the question I'm sure is on all of their minds.

"Something came up." I start.

"What kind of something?" Dorian prompts when I pause.

"My father is going to a council meeting. And he invited me to come along. Which means I would be out of town for a few days."

"How far out of town?" Taryn asks wearily.

"Sweden," I reply.

"Sweden?!" Dorian exclaims.

"You said no right?" Crux asks.

"Actually, I accepted the invitation."

Three sets of vampire eyes stare back at me with incredulous looks.

"Kara, come on, you can't go out of the country right now. Not when we have so much at stake." Taryn pleads.

"Guys, think about it, it's a chance to listen in on an official vampire council." I counter.

"You mean a docile council." Dorian mutters."

"Docile or not, they are currently leading the vampire government. I could glean valuable intel. I can't give up on this opportunity. I know it's not the ideal time-"

"That's putting it lightly," Taryn interjects and I shoot her a glare.

"But there won't be another opportunity like this before we strike." I reason. "The more we know about what we're up against, well that can only help us."