Chapter 7

Several days of my new routine pass with nothing of consequence. I show up, speak only when prompted, come home, drink my animal blood while my parents' pry for details. I mention Cleo, Christa, and Emma and they welcome the news, thinking I've bonded with lifelong friends. What I don't mention is that I know who they've placed at the school to keep a watchful eye on me. I have one class with Mr. Laswell and whenever he's present, I am the most well-behaved, non-threatening vampire posing as a human student that anyone's ever seen. After our nightly check-ins I promptly retire to my bedroom and sit in deep silence wide awake and bored out of my mind. Sometimes I try to make plans for our glorious takeover but without my army with me I don't feel very inspired. I've only had one other small dose of human blood since my first day of school and I practically had to beg for it.

"Dorian, I feel every bit of my personality draining from me. Don't let me turn into a docile." I plead to him over the phone.

"You may have docile blood in your system, but your spirit is anything but, Kara."

"You don't understand. I'm losing all of that. I feel weak and unmotivated. I need more." He finally gave in and gave me another small dose but told me that was it for a while. I need to take it slow at first, so my chemical structure doesn't get imbalanced and cause me to blow my whole cover. But it's not enough.

I'm just months away from my eighteenth cycle and if it wasn't for the fact that I don't eat or sleep, I might as well be a day walker.

Just like every other insipid day, I am back at Anders High. At my locker, I spot Micah heading towards the chemistry lab. The first bell hasn't rung yet and chemistry isn't until the end of the day. I do a quick scan through the hallway to make sure Cleo and her posse are nowhere around before I follow Micah. He enters the room, but I stay back on the other side of the closed door. My heightened senses allow me to hear every word crystal clear.

"Ah, Mr.Levy good morning, thank you for meeting with me." Says a voice that I recognize as Ms. Connors.

"No problem," Micah mumbles.

"I'm sure you can guess why I called you in here." She says. The sound or rumpling clothes meets my ear telling me that he shrugged in response.

She pauses to give him a chance to speak before continuing. "Micah, I know you tend to keep to yourself these days, but your grades never suffered because of it so the other teachers and I let it slide. I'd hate to think that you're giving up now just because you're expected to work with another student. I've received project proposals from every group except for yours and Miss Dennen's."

"Ms. Connors why am I the only one you called in then?" He asks.

"Because I know you've had a tough time recently and focusing on school must be very difficult right now but it's your senior year. You're almost done, don't give up now just because this is a little out of your comfort zone. Kara is a brand-new student; she may need a little encouragement, but I stand by my decision to pair up the two of you. Listen Micah, the bottom line is, people are eventually going to stop giving you passes because of what happened. And once you graduate, no one is going to cut you any slack."

"I know, you're right. Is it too late to get our proposal to you?" Micah asks.

"No. But I want it on my desk tomorrow morning. And I want it to come from both of you is that understood?"

"Yes, Ms. Connors. Thank you." He says.

"Micah?" She calls out after he takes a few steps towards the door. "I really am rooting for you."