02 | happy accidents

Chapter Two | We're All Happy Accidents

My first time slow dancing with a boy was in my eighth grade year during the Valentine's Day Dance.

It was a magical moment for all of the preteen girls. All we wanted was to dance with all of the cute guys in our grade. Of course, every girl naturally went out for Warner.

The first guy and the first time I slow danced was with Warner Remington. He was also the guy I slow danced with a few years later during formal.

I had wanted to slow dance with Dallas, of course. It seemed as if I was the only sane girl in my grade for that. I wasn't close to any other girl in my grade besides this girl named Yasmin Cole. She was a petite girl, with chocolate skin and bright green eyes. The guys always said Yasmin reminded them of Rihanna.

Anyway, before she moved to Germany the summer before freshman year, she had always encouraged me to go after what I wanted. At the time, I was only thirteen, so of course I didn't know what I wanted.

I thought I wanted Dallas, but the truth of the matter is that I was so young to know what I wanted. I now know that Dallas was someone who was out of my reach, and he always would be.

As much as it killed me, it was the truth.

So maybe that was why I found myself saying yes to Warner's question. I actually found out that I did have a good time with Warner. It turned out that he wasn't such a bad guy. If anything, he was the complete opposite of his father.

"You're a good dancer, you know that?" he asked.

It was all a blur to me. Warner had the amazing idea to pregame before our formal dance. I did somehow manage to know how to dance correctly. I was actually very concerned if he believed I was a good dancer. I was the most uncoordinated human being to walk the earth.

And I don't mean to sound cliché or anything by saying that I'm a klutz, but it's the complete truth. If falling was a sport, I would be sent to the olympics.

"I'm glad you said yes," he said during our second slow dance of the night. "I'm surprised you did, but I'm glad you did, nonetheless." I was surprised myself that I said yes to him. I didn't even know what I was thinking when I said yes because I knew in my mind that I was going to go with Dallas, or at least I had plans with myself to somehow get Dallas to go with me. Nevertheless, I was somehow going to get Dallas to be slow dancing with me tonight.

The reasoning behind Warner's asking was still a complete mystery to me. I had only accepted because I didn't want him to think I liked Dallas. Now, though, Dallas probably thought I didn't like him.

Luckily, I did have my chance to dance with Dallas after Warner had sat down because I tired him out from dancing so much. I was getting punch for the both of us, and Dallas walked up to me and smiled. In that moment, I could've died. He asked me in his very deep voice if I would like to dance.

I, of course, agreed and set down the two cups of punch and started slow dancing to A Drop in the Ocean by Ron Pope.

Those three minutes of me and him just talking and being so close to each other were so magical and seemed so fucking unreal.

"I meant what I said earlier," Dallas said, "about you looking beautiful." At first, I had a hard time remembering when we spoke before the dance, but then I remembered that Warner and I had gone up to his dorm room to get the alcohol.

"Thank you," I said, "I guess I never had a chance to say that because we left so quickly." We had left quite quickly. Warner practically dragged me out of the room faster than I could let out a breath. I didn't blame him, though. We needed time to get drunk, and the dance was going to start soon.