04 | purgatory

Chapter Four | Purgatory

The weeks that followed Thanksgiving break were weeks consisting of long weekend nights at Dallas and Warner's dorm room.

I would head up to the boys dorm rooms and find myself at a small kick back with some other people in our sophomore class.

It consisted of me and Warner laughing our asses off after way too many tequila slammers.

Then, Warner would offer to walk me back to my dorm room.

This became a routine – one that actually made me exhausted.

This one night, though, Dallas offered to take me home, and since Warner was puking his guts out, it only seemed fair for Dallas to take me home.

"We need to stop having kickbacks," Dallas said, laughing. "It's getting kind of hectic."

"Hectic is good," I replied. "It keeps things interesting – it keeps me on my toes."

"Oh, I'm sure it does," he responded. "However, I can't say hectic is good because I've been around chaos my entire life."

"Maybe you just need to conform to a different kind of hectic," I suggested. "You know, the night is still young. We could go do something."

It was my opportunity to hang out with the love of my life since forever. Yet, when he declined my offer, I didn't feel a sense of rejection take over me. Instead, it seemed like relief.

I nodded to him and walked into the building of my dorm room.

The rest of the week passed by calmly, without any havoc or chaos surrounding it. Except for the occasional bump in with Julie, nothing significant happened. My life seemed to be going exactly the way it was before Warner and Dallas were actually in the picture.

I didn't go to any more kickbacks at Warner and Dallas's dorm room, mainly because semester exams were coming up, and I was drastically catching up with all of the work I had slacked up on.

To say that that week was boring was a complete understatement. Neither Dallas nor Warner made any attempts to approach me, which made the week seem unusual. As long as I had gone without speaking to either of those two boys, I was growing accustomed to their lingering presence around me.

On Monday morning, I found myself in a bit of a fumble. As I was walking to class, Julie noticed a gigantic red blood stain on the back of my plaid skirt.

Embarrassed and feeling awkward, I opted for hiding in the janitor's closet, which happened to be the closest open space near me.

Julie offered to give me some clothes, demanding I give her my skirt so she could put it in the wash.

It was all over me.

I, of course, stayed put in my place until Julie came back to the rescue.

However, I wasn't the only one in need of the janitor's closet that wonderful afternoon.

Meanwhile, Dallas and Warner had accidentally spilled a cup of coffee on the ground on their way to class. Lucky for me, it happened to be right by where I was hiding.

"Is this it?" I heard Warner's voice ask.

"I think so, man." I could hear the tiredness in Dallas's voice, probably from lack of sleep AND coffee now.

Immediately, I decide to act fast, wondering where the best hiding spot could be. The only problem was that this was a janitor's closet, and there were no hiding spots.