07 | in like with you

Chapter Seven | In Like With You

There were a few things that had changed over the past few days. School went by in a breeze, and spring break was only a few months away, making the excitement grow at Vanderbilt.

Besides being slightly angry at Warner for our home economics grade, we were now on good terms.

The day after we got our grade, Warner suggested burying our fake baby, since Mr. Simmons said he didn't want ours back.

"She's missing a leg," he deadpanned to us when we presented our child. "I don't want a leg less baby back. Keep it."

It took a while, but he finally managed to make me laugh and not be mad at him.

"Dear Lord, we ask that you accept our dearest Violet into Heaven," Warner said.

"This is dumb," I said, laughing. "She's a doll, Warner."

"Our kid!" He corrected me, cracking a smile. "We should put the baby to rest! It's only right."

"Alright," I said, letting him finish his prayer.

He finished the prayer, then covered the 'grave' with dirt and put a violet over it. "She was a good kid, you know? She hardly ever cried. Except, sometimes, when we would be sleeping, she would start balling her eyes out."

"How often did that happen?" I asked him as we walked towards the open quads.

"Almost every night I had her," he said.

"Why didn't you tell me? I could've taken her off your hands for a few days," I responded.

"Well, that doesn't matter now," he replied. "She's dead."

"She's not dead. You can't be dead if you were never alive," I said.

"Will you just pretend, Wilmington? For me?" he pleaded, giving me puppy dog eyes.

I sighed and shook my head. "Fine. I'm sorry your father and I tore off your leg, Violet. We just loved fighting over you."

Warner smiled and laughed, draping one arm around my shoulder. "Let's go, Daisy. You want to go for a drive? I want to show you something."

I nodded, intertwining my fingers with his as he led me to his car. "Where are we going?"

He didn't answer with words; only with a grin. He opened the car door for me, turning on the radio and letting whatever song on the radio was playing play.

"I realized something today, Daisy. I know a lot about you--your likes, your dislikes--but you don't know a whole lot about me. I figured I should change that."

"I understand if there are some parts of yourself that you want to hide from the world or from some people in general. You really don't have to-"

"You're not just 'some people,' Daisy. You are you," he said.

"Exactly," I replied. "I'm just me. I'm like a little speck of dust in this gigantic world that is so wide. I feel insignificant."

"Well, that's not how most people view you. Hell, that's not how I view you at all. You're talented, athletic, hilarious, and not to mention, you're drop dead gorgeous. Maybe that's why Julie's so jealous of you," he said, making the blood rush to my face.