08 | butterflies

Chapter Eight | Butterflies

The following morning was filled with an amazing breakfast, courtesy of Warner's cook, Margaret.

There were a few things I had learned about Margaret while she was cooking us breakfast. She was from Spain, specifically Cordoba, which I had only visited once and had instantly fallen in love with the small town. I think I loved it so much because of how colorful it was.

The next thing I learned about Margaret was that her husband was American and that he was a truck driver, so she didn't get to see him that often. They had three children, Annabelle, Annalisa, and Anthony who were triplets that were now in college.

"Is this the life you had pictured for yourself when you moved here?" I asked her. She seemed happy enough with what she had here, but I wasn't too sure. She looked sad sometimes, like something was missing.

"When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a model, and I was for some time, Daisy," she responded. "I traveled all over Europe all alone at the age of sixteen, and I quickly realized that money is not everything in this world. What I wanted more in this life was a family to love because I did not grow up with a very loving one. At eighteen, I traveled to the US and started college at American University, met my husband, and the rest is history. I think family is the most important thing in life."

I saw where she was coming from.

I was one of the lucky ones, I supposed. I didn't have to fantasize about what it was like growing up without money the way people who didn't grow up with it fantasized about it. I was never someone who wanted money because I had it all along. Anytime I wanted something, I would swipe my mom's credit card and not have to worry about if we had enough money to pay it back because we always had more than enough.

"You know that I don't think money is everything, right?" I asked Margaret.

"Of course not, Daisy," she replied. "I haven't known you very long, but I can tell you have quite the heart on you."

"She really does," Warner interjected from the hallway. "Good morning, Margaret. Good morning, Daisy."

"Good morning, Mr. Remington," Margaret greeted him. "Would you like an omelet this morning?"

"Yes, please," he responded. "With mushrooms, ham, cheese, tomatoes, and spinach, please."

"That's what I got!" I said ecstatically. "Hurry up and eat because I have so much homework to get to."

"We'll get to the homework later, Daisy. It's Sunday, so we have to enjoy our morning. Plus, it's so early. It's only eight thirty."

He did have a good point. "What do you suggest we do this wonderful Sunday morning?"

"Have you ever been on a hot air balloon?" he asked.

"I don't think so," I said. "Would you like to take my hot air balloon virginity?"

"I would be delighted."

* * *

There was something happening to me, and I didn't like it.

Could it be that I, Daisy Wilmington, was starting to fall for Warner Remington, the silly boy who I've known my entire life? The boy that I could never take seriously when I was younger?

My heart would start beating really fast every single time he would talk to me or ask me to hang out. On top of that, I had started to feel butterflies in my stomach, something that only ever happened whenever I was around Dallas.