You Are So Not the Nurse

Mike again.

I woke up on a bed in a white room. My head was bandaged, and a woman in a white dress was dabbing my forehead with a wet cloth. She wore a name tag that stated: Eir.

“Who are you, and where am I?” I asked, sitting up.

“Oh good, your awake.” She said, “Well, I’m the uh…School nurse.”

I shook my head. “You are not Miss Scrubly.”

She sighed. “Alright, you caught me. I’m Eir, and you’re in the healing room in Asgard.”

I bolted out of bed. “Tell me this is a practical joke!” I said.

She shook her head. “I’m sorry, but it’s true. After you zapped yourself with that lightning, I was forced to come pick you up. I’m the goddess of healing.”

It was my turn to shake my head. “I don’t believe you, now point me the way out of here.”

            Eir sighed. “Out that door and to the left.” She said. “But your father better not blame me if you fall off the edge.”

            Fall off the edge? I thought this lady’s crazy. Not so. I stepped out of the healing room and found myself on a floor softer then a pillow. I thought it was weird, but not much other than that. I walked down the hallway to my left, and soon found out the nurse wasn’t kidding.

            The building was on a cloud, and I had almost fallen off the edge when a firm hand grabbed my shoulder.

            “Didn’t you listen to Eir?” Boomed a voice, “She’s smarter than she looks, you know.”

            I turned to see a well built, muscly man with a red beard and red hair. 

            “Wouldn’t want my son to die.” He continued.

            I cut him off. “Sorry, your son?” Maybe I heard wrong. He nodded.

            “What, like I wouldn’t recognize my own flesh and blood? By the way, good job with the lightning.” He flexed his hand and the football from earlier flew into it. “Course, you couldn’t have done it without this.”

            I watched, and the football flickered to an odd shaped hammer. The man rolled it around in his hand.

            “I’m dreaming.” I muttered. The man laughed.

            “Well,” I said, deciding to play along with the hallucinations of the dream people. “Shouldn’t I meet the rest of the family?”

            He nodded and laughed again, a good hearty laugh. I liked it, it came from deep inside him, and he had a kind face when he laughed. He began to lead me back into the castle, which I now saw as a giant gold palace, and shoved me all the way.

            “So Mike, I suppose you’re wondering where you are by now, yes?”

            I nodded numbly. I might as well play along.

            “You’re in Asgard!” he boomed. I was getting tired of his loud, hearty voice. He chuckled. “Bet that’s a surprise, eh?”

            Again I nodded. I had no words. I might as well let him ramble.

            “Now over here we have your uncle, Loki.”

            I stopped him. “Loki?” Now I was convinced he was crazy.

            “Why yes. What, don’t you recognize me?”

            I shook my head. Of course I didn’t recognize him. “Who are you?”

            “Why I’m the god of thunder. Michael, you are the son of Thor.”