Girl of Many Talents

Sorry I let them bore you again, I went to the bathroom and Jake took the microphone. But I am back.

            I was falling, through an endless void. I eventually grew tired of screaming, and simply fell in silence. But I didn’t stop being afraid.

            I hit the ground with a loud thud. Surprisingly, I wasn’t hurt. As I was looking around I saw a glow in the distance. 

“What is that?” I asked to no one in particular.  I started walking toward it, when I got there I saw a floating orb.  I reached out to touch it.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

            I turned and saw a woman, about 5 feet 8 inches tall, with blonde hair, blue eyes, and battle armor.  I felt like I recognized her the moment I saw her.

“What, don’t you recognize me?” she asked.

I shook my head. “Who are you, exactly?”

“I am your mother, dear. You must have wondered where those undeveloped little,” she hesitated, “Talents come from. Me!”

She was crazy. My mother was crazy.

            She was babbling now.  “You know, I told Freyr not to use a pit, but he just wouldn’t listen. You’re lucky I protected you, you would’ve been skewered.”

I decided to play along.   “Now why can’t I touch that thing exactly?” I asked, gesturing to the orb behind me.   “That, oh, it’s pure electricity, the thing that powers Thor’s hammer.”

     “Oh” I said, as if I was supposed to know what she was talking about. I had heard of Thor. She was definitely crazy.

“So, how’s your father?”     

“Uh, dad’s fine.”

“Yes well, I must be quick.”

“About what?”

“Oh that’s right. You don’t remember me. Well.”

I thought she was crazy but I had to learn not to underestimate my elders.  “So, about Thor’s hammer?”

“What? Oh yes. You see his hammer has limits to its power you know so when it runs out he comes here to recharge it.”

As she said this I opened and closed my hand like it was talking behind my back while mouthing out Blah, Blah, but I know she saw. 

“I’m sorry, am I boring you?”  She said, her kind smile suddenly seeming pasted on. I swear she seemed to glow red.

“What? No!” I said nervously.

“Then listen carefully, as I am the goddess of magic, love, and I am a great warrior, so do not make me angry. It may be the last thing you do.”

No doubt I would have whistled or said something like showoff, but instead I said “It sounds like you’re a girl of many talents.”

She laughed “You could say that, I suppose.”

“Wait, did you say goddess?” I asked.

She nodded. “Of Asgard.”

“Very funny.”

She started to glow red again. I quickly realized that she was not kidding.

 “I take it back. So why did you bring me here?”

The glow faded “I brought you here for help.”

I stood paused for a moment “How can I help?  You’re the goddess of magic. Can’t you just zap the problem away?”

The red glow returned and I backed away “I would if I could, I assure you, but I cannot get rid of what must come.”

What must come she had said. What must come? And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I had a strange feeling I might die doing it.