Episode 12

The UA Sports Festival was an even bigger deal than we had been told. It was like the school's campus had become Disneyland. Three giant stadia, each capable of holding a hundred thousand spectators, had been built years before when this event first became popular. The grounds between the gates and the stadia were crammed with people walking between stalls selling food, drink, and souvenirs. Men, women, and children all aquiver with excitement and anticipation gladly lay down money to fill the school's coffers. Dozens of pro heroes hired as extra security patrolled the area, though they were hard to tell from the many costumed attendees. As we had been warned, there were pros from all the major and most of the minor hero agencies looking to find future stars.

In our waiting room, the students of Class 1-A were all sitting in our PE outfits, talking quietly or lost in our own thoughts.

"I wanted to wear my costume," complained Ashido. I wasn't happy about that either. Wearing my PE uniform meant I didn't have my bandoleers of throwing balls. Without them I was more limited in how I could hide my real power.

"To keep it fair, we can't," Ojiro informed her.

"I wonder what the first round's going to be ..." Shoji pondered.

"No matter what comes, we have to be ready to deal with it." Tokoyami could not help sounding like his every utterance was a proverb for the ages. I smiled. He always came across as so somber. I wondered what he did to blow off steam. I tried to picture him singing karaoke or something. His dark shadow could make it a duet.

I caught Todoroki's and Midoriya's eyes. We quietly nodded to each other. Two days before we three had met at our normal café for a serious discussion.

"I know that both of you have secrets," Todoroki started. "And I respect that. I know that Midoriya has some connection to All Might."

"What! I don't ... that is to say ..." Midoriya panicked. He was a really bad liar.

"I don't know what it is and I'm not asking," the elemental assured him. "Hightower has an even more obvious connection to the American top hero."

I nodded.

"With your connections to top heroes, I see you two as my greatest competition in the upcoming contest. Looking at things objectively, I think I'm stronger than either of you."

"Yeah," Midoriya agreed reluctantly. I said nothing. From what I had seen, I thought I could take him, but I had little desire to prove it. I was not so sure that I was stronger than Midoriya, especially if he ever learned to use his power without breaking his own bones. He was too much like All Might. He had something beyond super strength.

"I'm going to beat you both in the Festival competition." Todoroki's voice held steel. He was refusing to allow for any other possibility.

Midoriya's eyes widened and his breath caught. He looked away. After a moment, he sat up straighter, squared his shoulders, and turned to face his challenger. "Of course you're better than me. I think you're better than most people, looking at it objectively."

I moved back to get out from between these two. I really had no dog in this fight. I couldn't afford to win, or even come close. Not and maintain my secret.

"But every student is aiming for the top with everything they've got." Midoriya laid his fist on the table. "I'm going for it with everything I have, too."

"Ok." Todoroki nodded.

"Ok." Midoriya repeated.

"Well. Now we know where we stand." I said then changed the subject. "So ... seen any good anime recently?"