2- The Last Something That Meant Anything

Even though I tried, I couldn't avoid Oli or his stupid friends. The Adrian guy was there at every corner, no matter where I went, smiling at me. Oli was going to be where I was just because most of our classes are near each other. I admit that I don't want to be away from him, necessarily, but I don't want to get in the way. If he truly knew me, he'd know why. 

But because Oli happens to be a guy, he thinks only with his dick. So he wouldn't get it, even if he tried to. 

Whatever, I shouldn't think about him so much, anyway...

"Hey, is this seat taken?" (Jesus, Adrian's back... Again).

I sighed. "No. This entire table isn't, if you haven't noticed." 

"Something the matter?" He set his tray down on the table, cracking open his soda can, letting it fizz before taking a sip. 

I shrugged, shutting my sketchpad. "Honestly, does it matter?" 

Adrian gave me a stern stare before nodding. "Always does." 

"This isn't a way for Oli to get information on me, is it? He's done this before." I raised a brow.

"No." His voice went calm, quiet, sincere. "Maybe I'd like to know you."

I blushed, biting my lip, unable to speak. I was completely terrified of saying the wrong thing. 

 "Hey, don't be shy, you can talk, you know." Adrian bit into an apple, but immediately dropped it. "Ew, da fuck, this is old..." 

I smiled faintly. 

"See, I knew I could get you to smile. No one seems to think that I can make people smile." Adrian shook his head. "I actually like that smile, you know? It just, I don't know, makes me wanna smile too."

"Why are you pretending for me?" I looked away.

"Who said I was doing that?"

I rolled my eyes, looking back at him. "I'm not stupid. Oli's trying to set me up with anyone he can because I'm not...." I stopped. "Ready to move on from something that happened."

Adrian looked concerned, but I could tell it was fake, whether he denied it or not. "What happened?"

I couldn't tell him, he'd run back to Oli and Talya. So I just said, "The last something that meant anything," Which was a song name by Mayday Parade. He rolled his eyes.

"Fine, don't tell me."

"I couldn't, even if I wanted to, Adrian."

He looked in my eyes sternly. Since I've known him, I've never known him to be serious, so it must have been pretty interesting to him, to act like that. "I'm not as bad as everyone says I am, Karma."

I bit my lip. 

Even if he weren't 'bad,' I can't get close to him, I'll never get as close to him as I am with Oli. Because where that got me was a place I wish I could leave. I went to hell, all because I fell for Oli. I don't want to fall for Adrian, either, and it's not just because of his reputation. It's because of everything else in my life, it's too freaking complicated. 

"Karma, you don't have to be shy, you know me. I'm awkward as hell. Why are you being so quiet?"

For some reason, that set me off, causing me to just walk out of the cafeteria. He of course followed me. But I did my best to avoid his existence. Because he was the last person I wanted to talk to. I didn't want to talk to anyone except for...

Oli.

He's probably too angry with me, and I don't even know what class he's in right now... I mean, I don't know if it could wait, but I guess it'll have to...