chapter fourteen

Jane's trip to Australia seemed to go on forever. It had been nearing three weeks and she was beginning to run out of clothes. Ashton had promised they would go out shopping at some point in the day, but she hadn't seen him since breakfast. Of course she called and texted but he had sent back vague responses stating he'd be back soon and not to worry. Each time Jane huffed and slipped her phone back in her pocket. She would have hung out with Lauren and Harry, but they had left with Anne a few minutes ago to go to the store. She was left alone in the house and that was intimidating. She wandered around, looking at the cute pictures of the Irwin family on the walls. Jane smiled to herself and continued to the guest bedroom and looked for the backpack she had brought with her. She pulled out her battered copy of Looking For Alaska and sat on the bed, curling up into the pillows. Flipping through the pages she found her spot and got sucked into the story.

Ashton leaned against the door frame, smiling fondly at Jane's scrunched up face. He adored moments like this, watching her get so into something that the world seemed to disappear. But he sadly had to interrupt.

"Whatcha got there baby?" He asked, clearly startling her. She shrieked and dropped the book in her lap, snapping her head up at him.

"Ashton! That was mean!" Jane yelped. He threw his hands up in defense and laughed loudly.

"I'm sorry! I couldn't help it!" Jane huffed, blowing hair out of her face.

"What do you want?" She asked, frustrated.

"Do you still want to go shopping?" He joined her on the bed, crossing his legs under him.

"Oh, yeah sure. Can I change?" Jane pinched her worn out tanktop between her fingers. Ashton sighed.

"You look fine! I like red on you anyway." He poked her stomach. She smiled and rolled her eyes.

"Fine, let's go then."

*

After nearly two hours, Ashton was starting to rethink his idea of taking her shopping. He knew Jane was picky when it came to clothing, he's been living with her for practically a month now but he didn't know how bad it really was. She'd pick something out, try it on and then decide she hated it. Everything he suggested got a scrunched nose and some flaw pointed out. Lauren was easier to shop with. Jane had been standing in the dressing room for nearly fifteen minutes and Ashton was getting impatient.

"Babe, surely the two things you took in there don't require 15 minutes of standing in a dressing room." He sighed, looking up from his twitter feed at the door.

"Shut the fuck up Irwin!" She yelled. He just groaned loudly and dropped his head back, prepared to throw a temper tantrum. The door finally opened and Jane came out with a pair of shorts and a white shirt in her hands.

"Finally!" Ashton jumped up, grabbing her shoulders and kissing her forehead dramatically.

"Ashton stop, we're in public." Jane muttered, not really wanting to see pictures of their cute moment on her dash later today.

"Whatever, let people take pictures." He grumbled, leaning towards her lips.

"That's not what I was worried about, you dumbfuck. I'd rather not have the old couple of there yell at us for not controlling our hormones!" She snapped, covering for the fact that she did in fact care about people taking pictures. Ash pressed a firm kiss to her lips, smiling smugly.

"Ha." He murmured, lacing his fingers with hers and dragging her to the register.

Jane just rolled her eyes and let her idiot of a boyfriend spoil her with whatever clothes she picked out. He even carried her bags. Ashton swung their hands childishly as they strolled, passing stores and crowds of people. Every now and then people would stop the pair asking for a picture or to compliment on how cute they were.