Chapter 3

The morning after her birthday, Grace was up early as usual. She let out a yawn as she went down the stairs, and into the kitchen to get breakfast. Both her mother and father were there, which was unusual, as one of them was always out in the barn at this time.
"Did I oversleep?" Grace asked, rubbing her eyes and looking up at the clock on the wall. It had been a pain to get out of bed as early as she normally did, due to the late night before.
"No, we have something we would like to tell you. Grab some breakfast and sit down," her mother told her. Grace followed her instructions, and sat down at the table not long after, sitting across from her father, and her mother sat next to him. 
"You were busy yesterday, and due to the party, all your presents were brought into the living room unopened," her mother started off. "Well, we figured that, you could open them later once you have time. But we both wanted to give you our present together. Here."

Grace's mother handed her an envelope with Grace written on it with a fine, silver pen. As she took the letter with her name on it, Grace turned it around and carefully opened the letter. She was curious as to what kind of present her parents had given her, since it wasn't often she was given a letter unless there was something bigger waiting on her. When she was 13, they had been to a rescue center, where Grace had fallen in love with Sandy from first sight. However, her parents convinced her the space and money simply wasn't there for another pony. Less than a week later, her birthday had arrived, and she had gotten a letter from her parents. Inside, it said 'look outside' and she did, only to spot Sandy standing right outside the window.

Grace took the letter out of the envelope carefully. It had a simple forepage that said 'happy birthday' on it in big, colourful letters, and with balloons underneath. Grace could recognise her mother's writing on the inside as she opened it, and the next thing she noticed was a credit card attached to the card. She read the letter fairly quickly, taking in the message it contained.

Dear Grace,
Happy 18th birthday, sweetheart! Time sure flies, it wasn't long ago you were still a little baby! We have saved up a sum of money on this bank account for your 18th birthday trip. Two days after you've turned legal, we will send you on a trip to look for your soulmate. The money on this account is for whatever needs you may have. However, use it wisely.
Good luck and happy birthday!
Lots of love and hugs from
Mum & dad xx

Grace stared at the letter. Her parents had met on a trip, where they'd both been searching for their soulmates. Did this mean she was going to do the same? An excitement rose within her, as a smile appeared on her face. "Thank you! I promise to come back safely!" She said, knowing how many nerves her parents must have had whilst writing this. Taking the bank card out the letter carefully, she let her fingers run over it. 
"Look after it carefully," Amanda told her daughter, "Since you don't have a driver's license yet, nor can we spare you a car, we've decided that you can take Sandy and another horse with you."
"Wow, that'll be amazing!" Grace thought, dreaming away to riding Sandy on her search for her soulmate in an open field while the sun rises.

At that moment, Gillian came tumbling inside, "The horses are fed and Patches, Peaches, Captain, Pepper and Autumn are still in. I've put the saddles on too."
"You're a star, Gill," said Amanda.
"Grace, have you opened presents yet?" Gillian took her muddy boots off.
"Only the one from mother and father," Grace replied, glancing in towards the bundle of presents that were sitting on the table, some on the sofa, and were waiting to be opened.
"Can I help you open them?" Grace's younger sister asked her excitedly.
"Sure," Grace headed into the living room through the door. 

It didn't take long for Grace to open all her presents with the help of younger sister. She had gotten a variety of things she had wished for, including new jodhpurs, a pair of earrings she had liked, a few different horse books, one of them being the last Heartland book that she was missing. She also got a new saddle pad for Sandy in light blue, with matching boots and browband.  'I need to send thank-you cards out later,' Grace thought to herself, noting it down as a reminder in her brain.