Chapter 2

Sierra's P.O.V.

        "I'm the Doctor. Who are you?" he said. I could do nothing but stare at him in awe.

        "It's you! It's really you!!" I exclaimed.

        "Yes, it's me. Now who are you? And how were we able to communicate?" he said.

        "It's a long story," I admitted.

        "We have time," he replied. So I began to tell him my story, the story of how I looked into the time vortex. When I finished, he gaped at me in awe.

        "That's impossible!" he said, "any human that looked into the time vortex would be killed!"

        "Well," I said, "I didn't keep all of the knowledge that I first recieved. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I remember that I knew all of the secrets of the universe. But then I fainted, and when I woke up the TARDIS was gone, and I had mind powers. I could mentally communicate with people, and I could understand every language." I would have said more, but I was cut off by a sudden headache. I neglected to mention the disadvantages of having looked into the time vortex. I will occasionally get horrible headaches, or get very dizzy randomly. I get deja vu at nearly everything that I look at, and I always have that annoying feeling where you can't seem to remember what you were about to say, or what you had been thinking about, no matter how hard you try. But though I sometimes regret ever looking into the time vortex, I think that overall my symptoms are quite a small price to pay for my mind abilities.

The Doctor looked at me with sympathy in his eyes, as I clutched my head. He began to talk with the girl standing next to him. I could have listened to their conversation had I wanted to, but at the moment I was a bit preocupied with the splitting pain in my head. I glanced at the Doctor for a moment, and suddenly a million images raced through my head, each about something I had never seen, yet oddly familiar. I cried out in pain. The Doctor looked over at me, and suddenly the flow of images stopped, gone as quickly as they had begun. My heart was racing, and my breath was quick, as if I had just run a marathon. That had never happened before, and I was beginning to assume that it was the sight of the Doctor triggering these memories that I must've had when I looked into the time vortex. The Doctor looked at me, sympathy in his eyes.

        "How does it feel," he asked, "to know something exists out there, but to never see it, being driven mad by the knowledge that you can't seem to find in your head, but you know that you once knew?" It sounded like he genuinely wanted to know.

        "Um," I said, unsure of how to reply. I had never been good at confiding in people about anything, let alone about a constant burning in your head, like it is about to explode at any moment, or the longing for knowledge that you have given up hope of ever recieving. "It's not that bad," I finally said. I could tell he didn't believe me. He looked like he was about to say something, but changed his mind.

        "Oh!" he exclaimed changing the subject, "by the way, this is Clara." He gestured to the girl standing next to him.

        "Finally remembered me, did ya?" she mumbled.

        "You never did properly introduce yourself," he said, turning back to me.

        "I'm Sierra Canfeild," I told him.

        "Well then, Sierra," he said, "how would you like to go for a trip in the TARDIS?" I smiled.

        "I had been hoping you'd ask that." The three of us began to walk back towards the TARDIS.

        "So," said Clara as we walked, "how did you come across the Slitheen?"

        "Well," I began, "I've aways liked solving mysteries, and when I found out about all of the dissapearances in the past few weeks, I decided that it was worth looking into."

        "Yeah, but how did you find out that the Slitheen were behind it? I would assume that actual detectives have looked into this, but none were as successful as you," she inquired.

        "Actually, there were two detectives on the list of the dead. I suppose that they found out about the Slitheen, but were killed before they could do something about it. And I suppose that it is possible that someone did figure out what was going on, but didn't say anything because they knew that no one would believe them. I suppose I just got lucky," I explained. We had reached the TARDIS. The Doctor opened the doors, and we stepped inside. I looked around, smiling. It was just as amazing as I had remembered. The Doctor looked at me expectantly.

        "What?" I asked him.

        "Don't you have any comments?" he asked.

        "What do you mean?"

        "You don't find the size surprising?"

        "Um no...? What do you mean?"

        "Almost everyone sayd 'it's bigger on the inside.' I always look forward to that. Except Rory didn't. He knew exactly-" the Doctor stopped mid-sentence, and I felt saddness overtake him. As I said, I'm quite good at reading people.

        "That's what I thought when I first saw the TARDIS," I told him, "'It's bigger on the inside,' I mean." This was followed by more silence.

        "So!" exclaimed the Doctor, the small bit of akwardness broken, "Where should we go!? That was a rhetorical question, actually. I know exactly where we're going to go, I just haven't told you yet," he said, flipping various levers as he did so.

        "Well are you going to tell us?" asked Clara.

        "Well that would ruin the surprise, now wouldn't it?" he replied. I peeked into the Doctor's mind, hoping to get a glimpse of where we were headed, but he slammed a door on that thought. "That goes for you too, Sierra," he told me. I smiled guiltily. The Doctor flipped a final lever, and the TARDIS made a strange whirring sound. We soon arrived at our destination.

        "Now will you tell us where we are?" I asked.

        "Let's find out," said the Doctor, swinging open the doors. Behind them lay a vast jungle, bigger than I had ever seen in my life.

        "What planet is this?" asked Clara in awe.

        "Earth," he replied.

        "Really?" I asked, looking around in wonder.

        "Ethiopia, to be more precise. In the year 2 million BC. This is where the most modern form of human came into existance. This is also the world that the Silurians call home."

        "What are the Silurians?" asked Clara, looking around.

        "The reptile race that lived here before the humans took over. Homo Reptilia," he replied. I looked up at the vast jungle that surrounded me. This was a world before the human race had dominated the world, where the earth was still covered with vast jungles and rainforests. I glanced through the trees, hoping to see the primative species that would someday rule the world, or the reptile species that ruled it before them. But I couldn't see either species from where I stood. "There should be Silurian tribe not that far from here," called the Doctor. So we began our trek through the jungle. Within a few minutes, we reached a clearing, and before us was a giant city. But it was much different from a normal city. They didn't seem to have any use at all for fossil fuels, so the city would have been much more energy-efficiant. But there was something erie about it. It took me a second to realize that it was because there was no one here.

        "Why aren't there any Silurians?" I asked, confused.

        "The Silurians were the first successful empire of Earth. They lasted for millions of years, and were forced undergroung when the humans began to take over. They haven lived here since the dinosaurs, and will continue to live here until the next ice age. So the question is," said the Doctor, looking around him as he spoke, "where have they gone?"