Chapter 2

They didn't make it to MainTime Beach.  No, her parent's luck had finally run out.  They escaped the police, at the cost of Anamarie.  She doesn't remember the crash well.  The events leading up to it seemed surreal; the sirens blaring; the traffic was packed tight; the guard rail.  The car veered off the road and...one flip...two.

Anamarie came conscious enough to smell smoke and see the distant figures of her parents running away into the Georgia's woodland.  She had been left behind.

She seemed to drift then.  Nothing made sense between then and now.  She felt as if she floated in the air and there was no noise.  The air was thick; she found it hard to catch a breath.  Chalky white was everywhere, there was no way out!

Then she just let it take her away.  She was too tired to fight.  After what felt like eternity, she wondered if this where fourteen year olds go when they died.  A constant white room with exits.

Finally, Anamarie began to hear voices.  She slowly began to see color return.  The steady beep of a Heart Monitor was what turned her attention.  She was attached to the grey machine, and an I.V. as well.

Her blue eyes swept over the large room she was in.  A dark grey, with plenty of natural light from the window to her left.  A green couch and a flat screen T.V. that hung above it was turned towards Anamarie's bed.  The wall to her left was glass doors; outside she could see nurses galore and plenty of other people.

She didn't like the looks people glanced her way.  She felt nervous.  Where were her parents?  Had everything been just a horrible nightmare and her life was actually normal?

Anamarie attempted to sit up but an instant pain rang up her arm like the Fourth of July.  She cried out in pain gripping her left arm.

A man in blue scrubs came dashing inside.  His eyes instantly were on the arm.  He rushed over to help.

Anamarie whimpered slightly.  Where was she, and where are her parents?

What happened?