Ten: Hesitant Steps

**Unnecessary update: I LOVE WRITING THIS FIC SO MUCH!!

And now back to our feature presentation.**

30 March 2017

After spending a total of five hours of sitting in the same chair, Arthur finally stood up once the world meeting had come to an official end.

As countries around him also rose to their feet and started shaking hands with one another (he didn't understand why—as usual, nothing significant had been resolved), he straightened himself up and felt his stiff legs slowly regain feeling once again. Matthew, who stood up before he did, smiled warmly down at him and offered his hand.

"It was nice talking with you again, England," he said. "I hope the rest of your day isn't as painful your morning was."

He smirked and shook his hand. "I hope so too. I appreciate you lending an ear; you're a very good listener."

Matthew shrugged. "It's more of a habit I picked up when I became a wallflower of almost every world meeting."

His smirk shifted into an awkward smile. He knew he was guilty of not noticing Matthew sometimes, but it wasn't entirely his fault. Matthew was just a soft speaker. "Yes, I can see why..."

Matthew chuckled. "It's fine; you don't have to try and make me feel better. I kinda accepted the fact long ago."

Arthur felt a little thankful at that—God knew how horrible he was at reassuring others.

"Hey, Mattie," Alfred called from his place at the head of the table. He was trying to shovel mounds of paperwork into his worn-out briefcase. "Be an awesome bro and help me get all this shit together."

Matthew's shoulders slumped and he glared through his oval-shaped glasses. "He always asks me to clean up his mess—not just at world meetings but his presidential elections and campaigns, too," he muttered.

Arthur frowned. "You could just say no."

"Nah, this will give me a good excuse to rub my free healthcare and Kinder Eggs in his face."

"Ah, do remind him of China's money that he still owes."

"I'll pass it on." He smiled widely. "See you later."

"Good day."

The two shared a small grin before Matthew strolled over to Alfred and Arthur began organizing his things into his own bag (which was only his ballpoint pen and the papers Alfred handed out earlier—he'd been much too distracted to take anything else out). Once he got everything packed, he sauntered over to the double doors that everyone else was exiting out of. He was pleasantly surprised to find Kiku standing a little off to the side with his small, brown eyes aiming his way, obviously waiting for him to catch up. When he did, Kiku blinked in greetings and asked, "What'd you think of the meeting today, Mr. Britain?"

He shrugged. "There wasn't anything too concerning—nothing worth wasting the ink in my pen."

Kiku raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Really?" He looked down at the notes in his hand, Japanese characters decorating Alfred's pamphlets and transcripts. "I feel as though I must reread my notes and then schedule appointments with Mr. America and China in order to come up with a solution to this problem."

Arthur gave him a long stare. "You really are worried about this bickering conflict, aren't you?"

Kiku neatly folded the packet into a little, tight square and shoved it inside his jacket pocket. He returned Arthur's stare, replying, "Mr. America is not only an ally, but a close friend of mine. I must help him however I can." He hesitated. "And besides, North Korea and I haven't been on good terms for a long time."