Thirteen: At Last

**This chapter took FOREVER. Sorry about the wait folks; I haven't posted in nearly a month and I did leave the last chapter on a semi-cliffhanger so I do hope you forgive me with this 20-page long chapter (it's a secret wedding, it had to be perfect, okay?).

Enjoy the fluffiness ahead!**

1 August 1560

Tonight was the night. After all the planning and secrets, it was here.

Finally.

It took Arthur more than a year and a half to gather all the preparations for the marriage ceremony between him and Elizabeth. With his betrothed being the Queen of England, she was always busy signing laws at court, speaking with her subjects, and avoiding Parliament as much as possible (he couldn't blame her on that one), so she was unable to offer her services to the making of this special occasion. He had no complainants however—he was more than willing to do all the work (which was probably why it took so long).

Sworn to absolute secrecy to everything between them, Arthur had to move stealthily. Naturally, he was required to attend every court meeting and carry out any tasks given to him by his queen, but whenever he had the day off or could get away without rising suspicion, he would grab the opportunity and make the most of it.

Elizabeth would also take whatever chance she got to display some sort of affection or endearment toward him. Yes, the two were able to find some alone time together—they chased each other through the woods whilst hunting, took morning walks around the palace and spoke of whatever came to their minds, played music and danced together in Elizabeth's private chambers—but apparently it wasn't enough for her. Sometimes she would sneak a quick kiss on his jaw, chin, temple, or wherever she could reach before exiting a room, often leaving him in a flustered mess. Though she kept her mask on during court—professionalism and concentration usually outlined her brown eyes and red lips—he would occasionally find her eyes trained on him before sending a minute smile and turning away. She even dared to curl her fingers around his under the table whenever they sat together at court.

But, as far as he was concerned, none had suspected a thing, so he tolerated Elizabeth's flirtatious acts toward him with blushing cheeks and a skipping heart.

Kat and John Ashley were informed of the engagement by Elizabeth herself. Both were surprised at first (as expected), but later became accepting and helpful. Arthur was relieved when Kat clasped her wrinkled hands with his, smiled warmly, and said, "I know you'll care for my Elizabeth when I cease to exist." John presented himself as an assistant to Arthur's needs and gave excuses to council members whenever he was late to meetings on account of wedding arrangements. He was entirely grateful for their acceptance and support to say the least.

What took up so much of Arthur's time was locating a suitable priest to perform the ceremony.

Although he knew that the task would involve most of his time and efforts, he didn't imagine it would consume it all. He has to achieve it willingly and must keep it clandestine, he prompted himself as he'd travel from church to church, searching for such a minister. He only attended Protestant cathedrals (even though they were limited due to his previous queen's demands); he'd join Sunday services and other gatherings just to observe the preacher's agenda. There were some who thought they were still under the Roman Catholic Church or just disliked their current monarch, causing Arthur's eye to twitch in annoyance before standing up and walking out of the church, bewildered and exasperated eyes watching him as he went. But most preachers were true Protestants and thought their queen to be a goddess. Arthur would then listen in on conversations they would have with churchgoers or other priests; could they keep a secret? He would even speak with them and make up a confessional sin to see if they were forgiving or not—"I've stolen some bread in order to feed my children back home" or "I've trespassed others' homes to seek shelter from the disastrous weather"—and their responses usually made up his mind.