Chapter III

A couple weeks had passed since Bucky's (magical?) encounter with Steve Rogers. Every day at the bar he cursed himself for not asking for the man's number. The man's soft blue eyes looked back at him every time he closed his eyes.

The bar closed early on Thursday nights so Bucky could do his shopping and just get a break. He wiggled his key in the door for a moment before it clicked. The bar was a fine place, but it had a few quirks. An untrustworthy lock was one of them. He stuffed the key ring into his coat pocket and blew hot air on his hands to warm them up. It had to be below freezing.

Bucky walked to his car to head out for a few groceries. After letting it warm up for a few minutes, he started down the quiet road through town. He admired the orange glow the street lights had on the asphalt as he drove. No one was really out, so he drove slow. Bucky always tried to  enjoy small moments, because he had few big ones to look forward to. Unfortunately, having a business means staying busy and consistent.

His eyes followed the warmth of the street lights as it carefully illuminated the road and sidewalk. It crept over piles of snow and seemed to stop at a man walking down the sidewalk. "Poor guy...it's col-", Bucky started before he recognized the sharp features and pretty blonde hair of...Prince Charming himself. "Steve?", he questioned as his eyes stayed on the man before he pressed his brakes. He put the car in park and got out to jog up to him.

"Steve Rogers, that you?"

Steve turned around and immediately looked embarrassed.

"Where the hell is your coat? It's...freezing", Bucky questioned with a look of concern. The man was wearing a light jacket. Man, he really was a tourist. Bucky took off his own coat and moved it around Steve's shoulders. Steve gripped the fabric and just looked at Bucky, with an almost mortified expression.

"This is so embarrassing. I-", Steve tripped over his words as he glanced at Bucky's car and back into his eyes. "I got lost and my phone died." He fumbled with his pockets to take out his phone and show it to Bucky. He let out a small, nervous laugh.

Bucky released an amused smile at Steve. He was so cute. This man looked like a real comic-book hero and managed to get lost in a small rural town. He motioned his eyes toward his coat resting on Steve's shoulders.

Steve jerked his eyes down to where Bucky was looking. "Oh!", he put his arms through the coat and smiled with relief. The warmth of the jacket brought the blush back to his face. "Thank you. I would've worn something warmer but I...really didn't think I'd be out this late".

Bucky couldn't tell if Steve was embarrassed about the coat or about running into Bucky. Either way it sent butterflies to his chest. "Well, I was on my way to the convenience store. Come", he took a few steps toward his car and smiled, biting his lip. "I'll buy you hot chocolate".

"You really don't have to-". Bucky was already walking back to his car, obviously not taking no for an answer. Steve quickly followed. Bucky looked back, still smiling. His coat was slightly too small for Steve. It pulled at his muscles. He never imagined anyone would look good in his clothes as Steve did right now. Bucky unlocked the car and Steve got in the passenger seat. They smiled at each other when both were seated in the car, for perhaps a little too long. Bucky handed Steve a phone charger. "Here".

"Thank you, Bucky", Steve said, sounding both sincere and sarcastic. Bucky smiled as he started the car and pulled out back into the road. He liked the way Steve saying his name rang so smoothly in his ears, like he'd been hearing it in that soft, deep voice all his life.

"What kind of music do you listen to, Steve Rogers?", Bucky asked with a curious expression, resting his fingers on the dial of the radio.

Steve responded as if he'd been waiting for this question all night. "40's".