Chapter Nine ; Hunger Games

I couldn’t believe that Cole was back. As soon as the bell rang I kept my head down and darted for the door. There was no way that I wanted another awkward run in with him. My stomach growled as I slid into my seat in my second glass; I buried my face in my hands and took a few deep breaths. This is not how I wanted to spend my day, I thought to myself as I pulled out my notebook.

Second period seemed to drag and the hunger pangs radiating through my stomach weren’t helping. I tried to think of the last meal I ate and since I couldn’t remember I figured I should grab something for lunch, the last thing I needed to do would be to pass out. Third period inched by just like second and I couldn’t be more relieved when the bell rang signaling lunch. Usually for lunch I would slip off to the library, for several different reasons. One, I didn’t usually eat lunch and two, I didn’t really like the big crowds of students. Since I didn’t really have a lot of friends I usually ended up at a table by myself when I would eat. Spending my lunches in the library usually helped with both of those things. Today though, I couldn’t get past the intense angry growling coming from the pit of my stomach. Trying my best to go unnoticed, I slipped quickly through the lunch line, grabbing an apple and a turkey sandwich. I scanned the already crowded lunchroom for an empty table, there were a few towards the back. Carefully, I maneuvered my way through the crowds of students and settled at a table in the corner. I couldn’t lie, there was a feeling of relief once I was tucked away on the outskirts of the cafeteria.

No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t stop thinking about Cole and his cute smile. Jesus, Ellie, get it together! I thought to myself. Trying my best to distract myself I pulled out one of my books and started reading over the lesson we were on as I pinched small pieces off my sandwich.

As I sat there nibbling on my food I couldn’t seem to shake this weird feeling, like there was someone watching me. Casually I lifted my eyes from my book and our eyes met. Cole Adam’s was sitting across the cafeteria with the most popular girl in our grade cuddled up in his lap. The site made my stomach turn and there was no way I could eat another bite. I felt my cheeks begin to heat as I started shoving all of my things back into my backpack; I had to get out of here. Leaving my tray on the table I pulled my bag onto my shoulder and darted towards the closest door. I felt like the walls were closing in on me and I had to escape.

Pt. 2 – Cole

By the time lunch came around I was worn out and there was no doubt I was a little disappointed that I hadn’t run into her again. Hell, I didn’t know what was wrong with me, I didn’t even know her name. The lunchroom was obnoxiously loud, I had become a pro at tuning most of it out. Kade was enjoying my chair situation, he used it as an excuse to get to the front of the line to get both of our trays. I hated letting him do things for me but wheeling myself around the school had taken its toll on me. Once I was parked at our table my eyes began to scan the tables packed full of students. Part of me tried to convince myself I was just taking in the sights but who was I kidding, I was just looking for her.

Then, my eyes landed right on here, she was seated alone in the corner with her nose tucked behind a book. Even from across the room I couldn’t help but stare at her. I was snapped out of my thoughts by the obnoxious giggle from none other than Katie. “Hey there handsome!” She grinned as she flopped down in my lap. My eyes flickered back across the room towards the girl and I froze as our eyes met for a brief second. My stomach did a flip flop as I watched her look away and begin to gather her things. I wanted to just shove Katie out of my lap and rush to her, but I knew there was no way I would make it in this damn chair. “Hello?!” She growled as she followed my eyes, only to grab my chin and pull my head to face her. “Why are you so interested in that bozo? She’s totally a weirdo. Is she like stalking you or something?” My face crinkled up as I gently pushed her from my lap. “What are you rambling on about?” I asked, taking a bite of my burger. Katie’s face looked shocked as I pushed her off of me. “I mean why are you so interested in that loser when you have me sitting on your lap!” Her voice was full of venom. Katie‘s red headed friend jumped in, “Yeah, she is a total freak. She’s always wearing those gross clothes that are like three times too big for her.” The girls giggled loudly as they poked fun at her. Kade laughed, shaking his head, “Who are you all talking about?” My ears perked up at the thought of learning her name. “Ellie What’s-her-face.” Katie spat as she crossed her arms over her chest and shot Ellie a sour look.

Kade grinned as he looked over at me, “Ohhh Cole isn’t that the cute girl from the nursing home? The one that came to help you shower?” Kade wiggled his brows. “She what?!” Katie hissed as she stood up from her seat. “That loser needs to learn her place.” I rolled my eyes at her, had she always been this obnoxious? “Yeah, that’s her.” I nodded towards Kade before switching my focus to Katie. There was a part of me that was angry at how she was talking about Ellie. “Oh, and what place would that be?” I asked, leaning back in my seat as I popped a French fry into my mouth. “She’s a loser, Cole. She needs to keep her hands off my guy.” I let out a loud laugh, coughing slightly as I choked on my fry. “Your guy? Last time I checked, I am single, and she has just as much of a chance with me as you do.” Katie’s jaw almost hit the floor before she grabbed her bag letting out a huff. “Whatever!” She hissed before turning to leave.