hamliza//children of our own

"Bye, Betsey. I'll see you later at four." Alexander ended the call. He was a pediatrician, a doctor of children. Alexander was writing down some notes as someone came in the door. It was his secretary, Cynthia.

"Dr.Hamilton, your first patient will be here in a few." she said. alexander nodded and Cynthia closed the door. A small girl came in with her mother. He was wearing a mask and a jacket. "Hello doc!" The mother greeted. "Oh! Mrs.Washington, good to see you again. Came for  Patsy's monthly check-up?" Alexander stood up from his chair and smiled at the two. Mrs.Washington nodded.

Alexander greeted the girl and carried her to the colourful bed surrounded with toys. "Say 'ah'" Alexander said. The girl opened her mouth as Alexander checked. He did the rest of the check-up and smiled at her. "Great job! Nothing wrong, everything seems good. I'll just talk to your mom. You can play with the toys." Alexander grinned at the small girl, who started playing already. "She seems to have asthma. But it is the season, do you use the prescribed inhaler for her?" Alexander asked. Mrs.Washington nodded warily. "Asthma's a small thing as long as it's not severe. I know a lot of friends who overreact to asthma." 

Mrs.Washington nodded again. "How is Gen. Washington dealing with his epiglottitis?" Alexander asked. "I knew you'd ask, Hamilton. But not good and we're extra cautious now since Patsy's had more epileptic seizures than often." She sighed. Alexander felt bad for the woman. "My dearest apologies, I hope they'll get better." Alexander said. He returned to Patsy and gave her s lollipop. And the two left.

-

Alexander came home and saw Eliza just putting down her bag. "Just arrived, too?" Alexander asked. Eliza made a "mhmm" noise. She was oddly quiet, and she looked a bit out of the weather. Alexander, being the caring and curious man he is, questioned about it. "Hey... Are you okay?" Alexander frowned, handing her his coffee. "yeah. I'm okay." Eliza's voice said in the cup. She sipped the drink, a cocoa test that spread on her tongue and gave energy to her body.  "I'm just..." Eliza couldn't hold it in anymore. "It's just so bothering! We've been married for two years already. And yet... even if we keep trying, it never worked!" Eliza cried. Alexander was confused, "What never worked?"

"Me! I never work! I want to have a child, Alex!" Eliza complained. Her husband has never seen her so upset before. They were both ready to have a child, but Eliza just never got pregnant. He suspects that she might never be able to have a child or they just weren't trying hard enough, or maybe he was the problem.

"Oh, Eliza." Alexander comforted his wife. "Just you wait." He whispered and kissed her lips. "That's all we ever wanted. A child of our own... a small boy or girl coming up to us..." Eliza whispered in Alexander's chest. "I want to start now." Eliza bit her lip. "I want to start trying now. right now, this second." Eliza faced Alexander and kissed him, Alexander took it by surprise but gave in as well.

-
A few weeks after the events, they still tried. Until the time where Eliza had missed her period by a few days and how she seemed to glow a bit. Alexander was hopeful and finally suggested to take a test. He, of course, was nervous. As well as his wife. Hopefully, it was a positive.

Eliza walked out the room, her face blank as a sheet. Alexander sighed, knowing the answer. Eliza dig herself into Alexander's chest and started to cry softly. "It's okay, love. Maybe now isn't the time..."

And then, as if in a swift movement, a month passed. Eliza wanted to give up, but Alexander encouraged her not to, because Alexander thinks that if she gave up on getting pregnant, she's also giving up on a great oppurtunity.

Alexander waited patiently outside the bathroom. Eliza opened the door, her face blank at first as she held five tests. She then smiled at Alexander, all positive, it said. Alexander smiled happily and embraced Eliza. "We're having a baby!" Eliza whispered happily, tears streaming down her face. Alexander was so happy, he just can't wait. After all, it's only a matter of time.