Unanswered Questions

Sorby clipped his communicator back onto his belt. The museum guards had their orders and already the building was in full lockdown. Knowing where they had been last seen, Sorby knew that Kobra, Jet and their female friend were still located somewhere in the building. It was merely a matter of finding them now.

Moving forward, Sorby rolled Ghoul onto his back, astonished to see him still breathing and without a mark on him. Turning a confused expression toward Evelyn, Sorby offered a questioning expression.

"How did you do that?" he asked.

Evelyn lifted the white gun still in her hand and pointed to the two small dials along the cocking section of the barrel.

"As a 'thank you' BLI gave me one of their newer weapons. It has adjustable power and spread. Setting the laser on full spread and low power makes it hit his whole body and not just at one point. The low power just knocked him out rather than burning him."
"Interesting," Sorby smiled appreciatively. "What do you want me to do with him?"
"I'd like you to put him in guest room one, next to mine."
"Yes, Miss Hart." Sorby nodded, calling for assistance. "Do you want a governor implanted in him?"
Evelyn smiled broadly. "Ah, Miles, what would I do without you?"
"Miss Hart?"
"No, not for Ghoul, just a collar and activate the room's perimeter. But," she smiled as she pulled a small remote control from her purse. "I know how we will find the others."

Turning the dial half way, Evelyn smiled maliciously.

"All you need do now is ask your men to listen for the sound of Kobra in excruciating pain."
"The governor?" Sorby smiled. "Of course. I'll see to it at once."

Leaning down, Sorby hauled the limp form of Fun Ghoul up onto his shoulder once more and headed from the exhibition room.

*

Still hiding in the spaces between the structural shell of the museum and the constructed ceilings, Kobra gasped, stumbling forward and dropping to one knee clutching the back of his neck. His face contorted in agony as the governor triggered waves of pain coursing initially down his spine, but within moments it was radiating into his limbs, head and abdomen. Wrapping his left arm across his waist and gripping tightly, Kobra now on both knees, curled over and rocked slightly, his eyes screwed up in agony.

"Kobra," Jet whispered, alarmed at the sight of his now deathly pale friend trying his hardest to prevent screams of excruciating pain bursting from his lips. "What is it? What's wrong?"
"Go..." his jaw clenched once more as another wave of agony washed over him. "G-governor... neck," he gasped.
"She's..." Jet's eyes widened in horror at the realisation that an implanted governor was causing Kobra such immense pain. "Le... leave me," he insisted with a vague wave of a hand. "Go."
"We're not leaving you, Kobra," Jet insisted, casting a glance toward Red who vigorously nodded her agreement.

Jet searched his mind for some idea what could realistically be done. Kobra was unable to walk, or even be carried in his agony. Besides, the ceiling struts were managing to hold their weight if they moved individually on all fours to spread the load, but if he were to carry Kobra, their combined weight concentrated in one spot would almost certainly cause the ceiling to collapse. Short of continuing as they were, there seemed no way to continue and no way to stop the pain. He knew that Kobra couldn't remain silent much longer as the pain was already causing him to lose control.

Red's face creased in distress as tears sprang to Kobra's eyes as Evelyn turned the intensity up still further, causing him to collapse onto his side.

"She must be controlling the pain levels," Red placed a hand on Jet's arm. "I'm going to find her, I can stop her."
"How?" Jet asked.
"With this if I have to," she replied indicating her gun. "But I can take her down with minimum noise and I'll find out what happened to Ghoul too."