Chapter 4

Charlotte was walking away from the hospital with Jane and was trying to digest the news.

She was pregnant. Pregnant for the first time and Clint doesn't know yet but she had to tell him.

Clint...

So Clint wanted a baby. Did he ever tell her about it?

No...

Actually she wasn't sure anymore, she didn't remember.

She knew Clint for years and they just started to go out together as a couple two years before Clint asked her to marry him. It was on their two year anniversary. She didn't want to go to a restaurant like other people usually do on anniversaries. So Clint decided to surprise her.

Charlotte loved looking at the stars at night, everybody knew it because they all caught her in the middle of the night on the top of Stark Tower. But in New York it was kind of difficult because of all the light coming from the city. So that special day, Clint took her to Floyd Bennett Field. It took a little more than half an hour but it was worth it. Laying down on a blanket on the beach looking at the most beautiful night sky ever.

Tony gave Clint champagne and a little something to eat for the occasion. He and the others knew about Clint's plans and they were all excited for them. So after an hour in the cold of the night looking at the stars and building up his confidence, Clint stared at her. When she noticed it, she asked him if everything was ok. He just nodded, put a hand in his pocket and pulled out a ring. A beautiful, old ring with a light blue gem. That ring was the one she had dreamed about since she was a little girl.

Her hands went to cover her mouth in surprise and Clint just looked straight into her eyes.

"Charlotte, I love you so much. I... I can't think about living in this world if you're not with me. And... After all we've been through together... Will you marry me?"

She was shaking, speechless but she slightly nodded. Clint, with a big smile on his face, put the ring on her finger and leaned in to kiss her. She had to break the kiss for air after a few seconds.

"Yes... Yes, Clint, I want to marry you..." She whispered a little too late but Clint didn't mind.

Four months later, they were both at the altar to say their vows in front of their Avengers friend. It was a small wedding full of white flowers, drapes and cake and it was a beautiful one. Charlotte was in an old fashioned dress and Clint in a grey suit. Everything went perfectly like expected and the after party was wonderful too. The best part, though, was their honeymoon. Destination; Alaska, it was Charlotte's idea. Since it was cold, they could cuddle near the fireplace to a real fire, one thing they can't really do in the tower. And the stars were so beautiful and different than in New York.

Lost in her thoughts she didn't hear her phone ring. Jane looked at her.

"Jane to planet Charlotte... Your phone's ringing."

Charlotte reached in her pocket and grabbed the phone.

"It must be Clint. He's probably very worried." She said, "Hi, Clint."

"Hey, Honey. Are you out of the doctor's office?"

"Yes. And you don't have to worry. It's nothing really. He told me I have to rest and it would be ok."

"Really? Ah good, at least it's nothing important. So, is it still ok for lunch?"

"Yes, hum... What do you think about the Cafe Sabarsky? Next to Central Park?" She asked, looking at her watch.

"Yeah. Why not? It would be great. So see you in what? 15 minutes?"

"14... And not a second more."

"I love you, Charlotte!" Clint sang out, she could hear the happiness in his voice.

"Me too." She laughed and hung up the phone.

"He looks happy." Jane chuckled.

"Yes, he is. And he kinda put me in a good mood too." Charlotte smiled, sensing her worries slowly disappear. "You know, I think it's a good thing I'm pregnant. It will change things a little but I think it'll be for the best."

"Wow... Where did that come from? I've been trying to cheer you up for the whole morning..."

"Guest I made the right decision by marrying Clint." She replied while Jane laughed.

"You know we have to be at the Cafe in 10 minutes now?"

"Yep. Let's hurry a little. But don't run, Jane. I don't want you to give birth on the sidewalk, you know..." Charlotte joked while walking a little faster to follow Jane.

The men were already at the Cafe. Eight minutes had passed since Clint called his wife. They decided to wait outside waiting for their loved ones.

"Charlie said they would be here in 14 minutes. I want to see that!" Clint chuckled, grabbing a chair at one of the terrace tables.

"I'm sure Charlotte will be there in time. She always does what she promises." Thor replied.

"You're right. And you know Thor, I think she's pregnant."

"What made you think that, Barton?" His friend asked, sitting next to him.

"She's got the symptoms. Moody, dizzy, throwing up, and her breasts did get a little bit bigger, enough for me to spot it. I just hope she's ready for it..."

Thor laughed at Clint.

"There is much more to worry about than just pregnancy. I am sure she is delighted to carry your child."

"You're probably right. But what if she..."

"Woh Barton. Charlotte married you for better or worse. It's not a baby's birth that will change that."

"Yeah... Yeah, you're right." Clint looked at his watch, the one his wife gave him on his birthday a year before. "They should be there any minute now."

He looked at a small boutique right next to the Cafe. A pregnant woman was looking through the window. The future father must be so proud. Clint would also be proud when the time comes.

Clint saw Jane appear around the corner first and then his wife. He gave her a big smile, one that you can see a mile away. She was laughing with Jane about a joke Tony told her earlier that week, but halfway to the Cafe, Jane disappeared with a small scream. Thor and Clint looked their way, confused.

"Jane!" Charlotte yelled out her name, trying to catch her arm but all she caught was air.

She felt someone grabbing her from behind and tried to defend herself by trying to hit the person who was holding her but she didn't see anything. There was nothing surrounding her. She felt something touch her face and cover her mouth.

"Cli..."

Everything became black. And then she disappeared. Just like Jane did.

"JANE!" Thor shouted as he started to run towards their last location.

"Charlotte!" Clint yelled at the same time, worried as hell, as he followed Thor but his wife and Jane were already gone.

Long gone...