sixteen.

"it's been three years to the day since i found you in that hotel bar." niall said looking at louis across the table.

"why do you remember these things nialler?" he said softly and pushed Niall's hair back a little. "love this color on you, lad"

niall looked up as if trying to see his own new champagne blonde hair.

"cheers," he said hooking a foot around louis under the table.

louis was looking at him with such fondness niall kind of just said it. was waiting for a better time, that's for sure, not in his (well their) house, at the dinner table, eating some takeaway from panda express while the la sun burned away slowly, casting shadows on louis sharp face.

"so..do you wanna marry me, like?" he said with his chin in his hands, heart speeding up when his mind caught up with his mouth.

"might do. got a lavish ring for me?" louis said with a twinkle in his eye.

"buy it yourself you mooch..already got you in my house don't i?" and he was happy he and louis could turn a marriage proposal into banter.

"you're such a romantic, young niall, how could i say no? just charm the pants right off me, don't ya"

"tommo" niall breathed out in a laugh and louis came to sit on his lap

"we should get married"

"don't steal my idea"

"was mine first. just hadn't gotten around to asking you if you were up for it"

"set a date, on the count of three"

"next tuesday"

"what's next tuesday"

"our wedding day"

"you just move right along don't you"

"only for you, niall james"

then louis kissed him and it hit him,

"should we tell the lads about the betrothal ? or let them see it on the group message?"

"better not make them hate you again, lou. let's tell them"

"or we could not" louis smiled.

so naturally, when the quick city clerk's office wedding had commenced, niall sent a picture of him and louis, hands outstretched towards the camera and making stupid faces with their tongues out. #knotjustgottied he sent behind it. the excited over dramatic replies started coming in: liam, then harry, then harry, harry, liam, liam, harry.

"let's go hubbs," louis said taking niall's hand and rolling his thumb over his wedding ring.

"mine," niall said against his lips.

louis just smiled, "mhm, always"