Chapter 11

Kaylie's POV:

An empty feeling settles in my stomach as soon as Niall leaves. It's like when you see the cutest dress in a window but you're immediately pulled out of your daydream by the price tag. My eyes linger at the door. Maeva is still staring at me. An amused smile starts to make its way across her features. She raises an eyebrow at me.

"Hmm?" I try to hide the fact that my attention had been on the empty door instead of her.

"I was asking you if you were here for long." She smiles genuinely at me.

"No don't worry, I just got here." I say taking a last sip from my coffee, my eyes are still glued to where Niall once stood. I hear Maeva chuckle.

"You sure are a power drinker then."

"Oh well, give me a good book and a drink I like and the drink should disappear within 10 minutes," I say glancing back at her. "Did you eat yet?"

"Nope, I was thinking we could maybe get something from here?" Maeva gestured to the counter filled with toasties, bagels and cheese croissants.

I nod, and raise my hand, calling a waiter to our table.

"Good afternoon, I'm Shawn. I'll be your waiter today. Would you like to have a look at our menu? Today we have a chicken Caesar special with a caramel danish for dessert."

I already know that I want my usual croque-monsieur. I watch Maeva as her eyes trail over the menu. I could tell she was having a hard time deciding.

"Would you recommend the cheese croissant or a chicken toastie?" She asks looking up at me.

"I'd definitely go with the toastie. They're amazing here."

She nods, "Okay I'll trust you on this."

I turn back to Shawn, who had his pen fired up, ready to take our order.

"We'll have a croque-monsieur, a chicken toastie, a raspberry milkshake and.." I trail off looking at Maeva.

"And a chocolate Frappuccino." She finishes for me.

"It'll be ready in 10 minutes." Shawn says before setting our plates, knives and forks down and leaving with the menu.

"You've been staring at the door since I got here. Are we expecting someone?"

"W-What? N-no, no one." I feel like an idiot. I should be paying attention to my new friend, not to an empty door. I can tell that Maeva is very well educated and polite. She just nods, pretending not to notice my rudeness. It was like she knew something I didn't.

"What has you so deep in thoughts?"

"Nothing really..?" I hesitate. My answer sounds more like another question than anything else really. What am I supposed to say? I'm dying to ask her about that Niall guy. Is she interested in him? Could she be after Logan just to use him to get over Niall? Is Niall interested in her? Would he like me-

Whoa where did that come from?

"You and Niall seem close, how long have you known him?" As soon as the words leave my mouth, Maeva giggles as if she knew I was going to ask her.

"He's single if that's what you want to know." She winks cheekily at me.

"W-W-What? Me? Gah, no, I wasn't asking tha-"

"Oh come on Kaylie. You were almost drooling at him and you've been literally staring at that door in awe for the past 15 minutes."

I feel my cheeks heat up. I probably look like a strawberry. Am I really that obvious?