E L E V E N

[ CHAPTER ELEVEN OF OLD MEMORIES ]

ANGLEA

"Are you ready?" Stephanie had stepped behind me in the mirror, her eyes light with worry and nerves. I hadn't really spoken much this morning, my worries seeming to plant themselves at the base of my throat, and anytime I tried to talk, I'd just choke. So now, I was standing in front of the mirror for a fourth time in the last 30 minutes, checking my outfit, hair, and face.
It wasn't anything spectacular; the outfit, hair, or face. I'd just gone simple, as I always had.
My fingers twitched at my hair, trying to give it some life, until I threw my arms to my sides, giving up.
"This is a bad idea, steph."
My voice had been quiet, and even I had barely heard it. It sounded clouded with worry, and the weight on my shoulders confirmed it was.
What if he never wanted to see me again, then I just show up? Like some creepy stalker? Why did I think he'd want anything to do with me?
Steph gripped my shoulders, hauling me around so that I'd face her. She wore a graphic Tee-shirt, and ripped jeans. A VIP badge, same as mine that was stuffed in my pocket, hung around her neck. "Listen to me,"

My eyes snapped up from the carpeted floor to her face, her cheekbones darkened with a little bronzer, and shone with some pretty highlighter. I nodded my head in acknowledgment, waiting for her to continue. "No matter what happens today, I'll always be by your side. You're still the amazing best friend I've had for the past three years, and you don't have to do this." She finishes, and I think about her words. I didn't have to do this, I didn't have to hope that my childhood love still actually had feelings for me. I didn't have to announce to him that I still loved him, and that if we worked through all our flaws, we could be what we once were. I didn't have to, but I still did it anyway.

"I know Steph, I just have to know. It's hard to explain what we once had, and if that's still there, I want to give us a chance. We were kids then, now we're adults. Even if he doesn't love me, I'll finally be able to close that door, and learn from my mistakes"

Stephanie looks at me for a while, her eyes dancing across my face, and it makes me even more nervous than before.
"I love you, Ang." A smile breaks out across my face, and I hug my best friend, silently thanking god she was in my life. "I love you too, Steph."

Three sharp knocks at the door makes us break apart, and we both look at each other, knowing exactly who's on the other side. The doorknob twists, and there stands Dylan Sprayberry with a huge grin.
"You ladies ready to party?"

+

These past three days, Steph and I had been venturing the streets of California, enjoying the views, food and people. So many people. But now, it seemed insignificant compared to the amount of people here at San Diego comic con.
Dylan had to leave us at the front, saying he had to go a different way to get ready for the Teen Wolf panel.
"Let's just look around, yeah?"
My hands twisted nervously together, and I followed Stephanie through the crowds, my eyes scanning across the sea of bodies. Some dressed up, some not. It made me feel bland in just my clothes, but I pushed that aside. Certainly, that was the least of my worries.
After walking around for a few hours, Stephanie decided that it was time to start heading towards hall H.
My heart thumped in my chest, my head pounded, and I was scared. Really, really scared.
"Come on Ang, we gotta get good seats and line up for questions."
I nodded, being too preoccupied with trying to calm down and staring down the long table at the front of the giant room. Chairs and labels were placed, but I couldn't see from where I was where he would sit. My heart thumped a little quicker.
Steph grabbed my hand, giving it a tight squeeze. She'd noticed my antics all day, and this would help me not seem like some freak and calm down.
We lined ourselves up with the rest of the people for questions, and waited. More and more people gathered in the huge hall, filling chairs, filling more space, and it made me suck in a quick, short breath. It sounded like a gasp for air.
I was really going through with this?