time for emotional pain

--idk if i promised angst but yall gonna get it,, why does this fandom have no kukui angst whatsoever lol--

Everything had been going fine until now. Why did he have to fuck everything up?

No, it can't be his fault, he couldn't have known-

Kukui's mind raced with thoughts as he paced up and down his room, wincing every now and then at the pain in his leg. Rockruff whimpered when he slammed his fists onto the table, knees hitting the hard wood flooring with a thud.

A day ago it was all fine and dandy, Guzma went home after the rain subsided (with the help of a ride Pokémon of course, Po Town was a while away) and Kukui went out to help the young trainers who often hung around the beach.

"Hey, Kukui!" a young boy by the name of Rin waved him over, his Snorlax snoozing to his side. Two other youngsters, Yuka and Jane, waved too, their Lillipups yapping excitedly. Kukui jogged over and greeted them, chatting for a bit before going into a practice battle.

They had just finished going through healing pokémon during battle when two more kids Kukui recognised, Felix and Yukio, ran over. They were a little older than the others (Felix had just turned fourteen) and therefore already had their starter pokémon. Yukio's Litten had recently evolved into a Torracat, and was currently learning more powerful fire-type moves.

"Hey guys! Wanna come practice with us?" Kukui asked them.
"I just came to watch, Yukio reckons that his Torracat can beat any pokémon." Felix answered smugly.
"That's not what I said!" Yukio nearly yelled.
"Sounded like it." Felix sat crossed legged on a rock next to Rin, his Rowlet still in its pokéball.

"I bet my Lillipup could beat your Torracat any day!" Jane challenged him.
"And mine!" Yuka cheered.
"What d'ya say, Yukio? Think you could take on two pokémon at once?" Kukui laughed. He expected the boy to back out, but was surprised to see him smile brightly and agree. Thinking to the healing items in his bag, he shrugged. What could go wrong?

Everything apparently.

It was no secret that Yukio wasn't the best at teaching fire-type moves, yet he still decided he wanted Litten as his first team mate. It was now apparent why his parents encouraged him to choose Popplio.

The Torracat looked between the two pokémon opposite him and leapt forward, attempting to use fire fang against the left Lillipup, but after confusing the two it ended up heading straight for Jane.

Before the girl could get hit Kukui jumped and pushed her away. She knocked into Yuka, tumbling to the sandy ground. The Torracat, not noticing it's mistake, bit into Kukui's leg with an audible crunch.