Chapter 2

ANIKA

The hallway of the girls hostel on ground floor was large and extravagantly furnished. The big, comfortable sofa and couches were leisurely scattered in all corners. Reclining on the largest of them all, it's soft, cushiony texture de-stressed my body. My muscles loosened up and I sensed my eyelids drooping with the week's exhaustion.

Sneaking a look in all directions, when I couldn't spot anyone watching me, quickly I sprawled on the couch to stretch my body. The travel-weariness gaining a toll over me. I couldn't recollect when I dozed off but my unwanted, peaceful sleep was disturbed by some suppressed giggles followed by a flash of lightning.

Yawning, I stretched my arms and legs and sat on the sofa. I squinted to adjust my eyes to the daylight and put on my spectacles. Daksha held her phone in my direction. Her boxing gloves laid on the couch.

"Hi, my sleeping doll," Daksha laughed and replayed the video she made. I could hear my loud, funny snores.

"Don't you dare send it to anyone," I almost growled when she touched the 'share' option. Quickly, I snatched the phone from her.

"How about, umm, KETU," she said and plucked the handset from my hands. I tried grabbing it but she put it in her trouser's pocket.

I couldn't say anything to that. Blood rushed to my cheeks and I smiled, attempting to calm my heartbeat on the mention of his name.

Ketu proposed to me for marriage, three weeks ago. I met him a few months ago. No doubt I was attracted to him but I wasn't ready for any commitments.

Daksha knew about him and she never had any problem with me getting married. But I had to ensure that he accepted me with Daksha. I had to know him more. Considering it, postponing my answer was the best option.

Daksha chortled and hugged me, "Relax. I am not sending to anyone. It's for me. To see you whenever I want."

That made my eyes water. My sister loved me and I could trade anything for that. But I had her safety concerns on my mind. I had to know exactly what happened. I should know if there was any ambiguity between what I was told by the warden and the truth.

"What did you do to Mahesh?" I asked worried, but my tone probably sounded annoyed to her.

"Huh! The woman has a big mouth. She told you, right?"

I glowered at her reckless attitude, "Oh dear, I don't care what she says or thinks. You have an year remaining for completing the studies. I don't want you to get expelled or get into any trouble. The warden asked me to talk to you."

"Di, don't worry. Nobody caught me and nothing can happen from baseless accusations." She said as if nothing had happened.

Daksha had been studying journalism for two years, under a mass communication degree program.

I still remember how grief-stricken she had been, when she got admission in the Amity Institute of Noida. She had cried the whole night before and tried to convince me into not sending her far from me. It was dreadful for me too, sending her away.

Admiring her matured version, I perceived an extremely adorable young girl whose company I was sure everyone would crave for. But her getting involved in what I deemed to be unnecessary fights made me insecure for her safety.

"Did you break his hand?" I couldn't contain my disappointment.

My displeasure upset her and she retaliated, "Argh! Di, don't think I am stupid." Tapping her temple with her finger she emphasized in an irritated tone, "You see, I have brains too."