Chapter 5

KETU

Finally parking my car in my house garage after a busy and tiring day, I rush inside my room to change into some attractive outfit as I had a date with my beloved. Which, for her was only a meeting with a 'recently met' guy.

I took out a pair of denim jeans with a formal light-blue colored full sleeve shirt. As the weather had become slight chilly at evenings these days, I pulled a full sleeve dark blue sweater over the shirt. Matching with my sweater I put on my comfortable sports shoes.

Just when I ignited the engine of my car to take it out of the garage, my phone rang. In the ecstasy of meeting Anika, I apprehended her waiting for me to receive her. Instead it was Bakul, my junior in school but we became friends over time.

"What is it Baks? I swear if I am late in receiving her because of you, I will kill you," my displeased tone was sufficient to have hinted anyone that I was pissed off and he would have apologetically cut the line expeditiously. But this was Bakul and he deliberately derived pleasure in messing with me.

"Ooo! Excited. I called to wish you good luck, buddy. I hope you emerge out victorious," he choked back a giggle.

"Victorious? I am not going on a war. This is what you called for? Cut the call idiot." His dramatic accent was pestering me and I was getting restless with every moment.

"Oh okay okay! Just a tip, don't forcefully enter her house if she refused to go out with you," he chuckled. My anxious state was becoming a thrilling, humorous episode for him and it irritated me to the core.

"Really? You are giving me a tip when you can't even talk to her from the past 5 years. You are useless. You couldn't even arrange me a meeting with her in these 5 years or before that. At least Daksha is supporting me in this," I retaliated.

"Dude, I can see you are still mad. For heaven's sake that was just a prank. And, Daksha was not helping you. She was saving her sister's skin from those bullies. Besides, Anika never directly asked your help."

"Leave that Baks, pranks must have limits. Whatever Daksha's intention was, it wasn't to hurt me and at least Anika got to know me by that. Now, LEAVE ME ALONE," I said angrily, uneasiness taking a toll on me. Comprehending the indication he cut the line before wishing me good luck again. Despite his attempts to hide his amusement out of my vulnerable condition, I could hear his suppressed cackle.

'Oh God! What do I do with this idiot?' Rolling my eyes I drove the car to Anika's apartment.

7:55 pm

I waited for about an hour in the parking lot of Anika's apartment building and despite ringing on her phone many times, she didn't pick my calls. She might not want me to pick her up.

9:15 pm

Sighing I retired to my restaurant in the hope that she could show up there.

As I sat in my restaurant on the 'reserved' table for two, I looked at the customers, fiddling with my phone. The thought of Anika contacting me kept my hopes high though with the passing time I was getting more restless.

Suddenly my phone beeped and I opened it in excitement. Again a disappointment. It was Daksha's message.

How was the date bro? Or is it still on ;-) ?

That was irritating. Everyone was doing speculations when nothing had started between us. Deciding not to reply, I slid the phone in my shirt pocket.

I remember the first time Daksha confronted me in my restaurant about six months ago. She beat one of my men keeping an eye on her. Neither I nor my men could fathom her spying on me and discovering my love interest in Anika.

"So you are the famous Ketu. What do you want from my sister?" She snarled at me.

I understood her concern and I didn't want her to misinterpret anything. So, in spite of my astonishment, I tried to act cool. I stood at the reception with the manager. Smiling I went near her, "What a surprise Daksha. Please come and sit."

"Leave the pleasantries. What are your actual intentions towards her?" She snapped again.

Sighing, I signalled her to come along with me on a secluded corner table. I suspected she would refuse to accompany me and would demand an answer at the same spot. Rather she tagged along boldly. Pulling her chair noisily she sat there and began drumming the table with her fingers. Her glare never leaving my face or body movements.

Her gaze made me nervous and I almost tripped over my chair. Unable to make eye contact with her, I wiped the sweat on my forehead. I couldn't afford a wrong impression on her. Calming myself so as not to stutter, I replied, "Trust me. I have no selfish intentions with you two. I love her Daksha."

She laughed at my miserable state and almost made me flinch before she enquired again, "Since you were a kid, right. And still not able to get her to notice you."

"What?" My eyes went wide and I shook in comprehension. I drank a glass of water to calm my heartbeat and moisten my dry throat. Was she mad at me or was this a friendly gesture?

"I am a would be journalist, you see. And I know every detail of the matter. But my question is, why did you include Bakul in it. I will help you gain my sister's attention."

After that Daksha had been our date-maker or so, I would say. She informed me of the new Cafe owner threatening Anika which I already knew. I had thought of getting hold of that man and scare the shit out of him. But Daksha had something else in mind. And everything went as planned.

I went into the ice cream parlour to celebrate my friend's wedding anniversary. As per my spy squad, the men of the Cafe owner, Mr. Chetak Agrawal would barge about an hour later. We celebrated, and I waited.

At the fixed timing, four of his minions barged in. My blood boiled. These were the men I hired a few weeks ago for intimidating one of my business rivals. I had an urge to snatch their bats and blow their heads off. I had a hard time keeping my emotions in check. But, to present myself oblivious of the situation, I had to appear shocked.

Subsequent to entering, they attempted domineering the two ladies, dictating Anik aggressively to leave the place. Instead of subjugating, Anika lifted a long steel stick and warned them of legal action in an authoritative tone. They didn't waste time in arguments and in a tick they began smashing the furniture with their hockey bats.

"Sajid," turning my face to them, I called one of them by his real name. He froze in his pants. He looked in the direction of the voice which he without doubt figured out whom it belonged to. Fear was evident in his eyes when he saw me glowering at them. I signalled him to come closer and he complied with his companions.

As they came sufficiently near, I stood up and whispered in his ear, "Bring Chetak. In a minute. If he doesn't come, grab him by collar and drag him here. Move. Now."

Nodding they all left and brought Mr. Agrawal in less than five minutes. He came in taking long strides. His legs were visibly shaking beneath the mask of his confident posture. Terror suffused in his eyes.

"Sit Chetak. I hope you know what I want," thrusting the chair lacerated by Sajid and his men, I motioned him to take a seat. He hesitated. I scowled.

In an instant, he bobbed his head and perched on it uncomfortably. Without me saying any more, he begged for forgiveness and promised to stop the harassment.

They never bothered Anika after that and Chetak shifted his store at a different market in the city.

**************

"Sir, what would you like to order?" One of the staff waitress asked me as I waited in my restaurant for Anika.

"No, thanks Priya. I will be leaving now."

It was already 10 pm and there was no response from her. I guessed she wasn't inclined in any way towards me.

As I got up to leave, my phone rang. Upset about my fruitless so-called date, I wanted to bang the phone on the floor to vent out my frustration. Disheartened when I glanced the screen reluctantly, my face lighted up with a million dollar smile.

Anika was on the other side.