One

A/N: Hello everyone! Updates will be weekly, every SATURDAY. If you want to read ahead, you can visit my INKITT account. I update ahead there than here if you want to read more. External link attached below and in the comment section. Please help me support the story on INKITT as well. Thank you!

~

A month ago I wouldn't have expected myself to be standing in front of the city's finest Hotel. But it was better than having to face another day in my old dragging job and looking over my shoulder. Standing by the pavement, the reality had finally dawned on me. The feeling wasn't of defeat. I knew when I was through those double doors I'd start a new phase of my life.

"Let's do this," I whispered to myself.

Entering The Grand Hotel, one of Chicago's famous and luxurious hotels, I felt a rush of euphoria with the possibility of working for someone famous and big. When the sister of my best friend, Amy, told April her boss was hiring someone in the secretarial division, I was in. But I had doubts. With what happened on my last job, it was an understatement if I wouldn't. The three unsuccessful attempt I had with a job in above average companies made me think all of these professionals are creating a façade to hide their ungodly agendas. Even the most sophisticated work environments, predators are always waiting to pounce. And things like this make you even more weary on your choices in life. But sometimes you don't have room to choose. You have to suck it up and trust your next boss wasn't a sexual harassment in a suit.

I approached the blonde woman across the reception counter. To be wise, it's better to ask where I'm going than wandering around the place and finding the room.

I cleared my throat before speaking. "Hello. I'm here for a job interview with Mr. Rufus Fletcher."

The woman looked up at me with a welcoming smile. "Of course. Did Mr. Fletcher told you where your interview would be held?"

"Yes. He informed me it will be at the conference room?" Rather than a statement, my voice dangling into a question.

She nodded like she finally understood where I'm getting at. "You just head up in that stairs. The receptionist, Sarah, will lead you to the room."

"Oh! Okay, thank you." I nodded and slowly headed towards the stairs she pointed.

"No problem. And good luck."

"Thank you."

Following her instructions, I walked up the flight of stairs and was greeted by another reception area. Regarding the woman behind the desk, I guessed she was Sarah. The woman looked up and greeted me with the same professional premediated smile.

"Hello. Good morning, how may I help you?" Sarah asked.

"Yes. I'm here for a job interview with Mr. Rufus Fletcher."

"Ah, yes. You must be Ms. Curtis?"

"Yes." I smiled.

"Just walked down the hallway there," she paused and gestured towards her left, "and enter the first door on your right."

I nodded. "Got it. Thank you."

"Good luck, dear." She called as I headed for the room.

Following her instruction, I knocked the first door on my right. It took a few seconds until I heard a muffled voice asking me to enter. With a heavy heart, I entered and met a middle-aged man sitting by the head of a huge oval table in the middle of the room.

"Ms. Curtis?" The man inquired. His English accent was thick.

"Yes." I nodded. "Good morning, Mr. Fletcher." I greeted.